Newbie question: AA Miles for hotel stays

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travelmom4, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My apologies for the newbie question but I was browsing some posts on maximizing miles (outside of flying) and came across the helpful link to the AA PDF on the multiple ways to earn miles. It includes references to getting points for hotel stays-how do you do that? I thought that there was some requirement to fly on the airline and then you could get points if you stay in a hotel on that same trip. It seems that I have may have been missing out an many point opportunities!

Can you all please enlighten me?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. AisleSeatBob

AisleSeatBob Active Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to fly American, in fact you don't even have to fly. My air conditioning went out one day this week and it took a couple of days to get it replaced, so I checked into a hotel and earned some AAdvantage miles even though I never left town.

There are basically two ways you can earn miles for hotel stays, either by making your reservation through American's website (which usually earns 250 miles per reservation) or by joining the loyalty program of an AAdvantage hotel partner and designating AAdvantage as your frequent flyer program of choice. How many miles you earn depends upon the hotel, some are more generous than others. Either way, you're not required to fly on American to earn the miles.

3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    On AA.com they have a page dedicated to earning partners where you can earn AAdvantage miles with partners

Go to AA.com, under AAdvantage select Earn Miles

4. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can select the points + miles option with Hilton properties which lets you double-dip by getting both Hilton points and airline miles. Each property type has different amount of miles they credit from 100-1000.