Newbie query regarding award search method

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by oneluckybastard, Apr 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been a passive member of FlyerTalk for a couple of years but have always found it too detailed and technical for my needs. This site seems a lot more mid-level FF friendly, I look forward to trying it out.

One recurring query I have from FlyerTalk that I have not been able to grasp is the ridiculously low tax + mileage prices people are paying for business or first redemptions. I have 100,000 miles on BD (soon to die...) and would need to pay 60k miles + £300 for a flight in business or 40k miles + £240 for a seat in economy. People frequently post about virtual round-the-world trips in business for 17,5k + £150, to give a rough example. Or the following:

"BKK-AUH-PRG-FRA-PRG-AUH-BKK is bookable for 373 Euro Okt 2012
    booked and etix issued"

What trick am I missing?

misman likes this.
  2. oneluckybastard

Status Points:
    * my quotation is for a BD trip to Cairo...

3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

Are you referring to people who find mistake fares or fuel dump? This is the thread to get started on that.

Much more friendly than the one over on FT.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of the stories of low fee awards are from redeeming miles in USA-based programs where the YQ isn't charged. With BD are you looking at a points-only or cash+points redemption?

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Part of it is the tax of leaving the UK.

I booked a RTW itin (series of one-ways) on BA (CX) and UA (LX/UA) for a total of 152,500 miles and a hair under $400, but I made sure not to visit the UK (SFO-HKG-DXB-ZRH-BOS-SFO). The highest fee charged was the $150 for the SFO-HKG part of the trip, and that one's in coach (the rest are in business or first).

6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP oneluckybastard!

7. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the main issue is the fuel surcharges that are being charged. If you use miles in a US-based carrier like United, USAirways, or AA then you won't pay a fuel surcharge even if you are flying on a different carrier (the exception is BA, who charges you the ridiculous fuel surcharge anyway, even if you are using AA miles to fly on them).

If you acquire miles in a program based outside of the US, then they will most likely charge you a fuel surcharge on award flights. There are exceptions to this (using BA miles on LAN to go to South America, for example) but as a general rule, you'll get dinged with fuel surcharges, and sometimes they are substantial.

In my mind, that is what makes earning miles in AA, United, and USAir so important. You can most likely fly wherever you want with those programs, since they are either OneWorld (AA) or Star Alliance (United, USAir) and you won't pay the surcharges. Let's hope that never changes!

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  8. oneluckybastard

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies, and the welcome! My enquiry was for miles only, and I somehow suspected it was linked to our glorious UK duties.