Newbie Q's re: Hyatt Diamond

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by phlguy80, Oct 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. phlguy80

phlguy80 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I'm a new Platinum via the Visa and am trying to wrap my head around the "how?" and the "is it worth it?" of going for Diamond in 2014. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

I realize these may not be the right questions to ask (if there are better ones, please tell me) -- they're simply the ones that come to mind.

Here's what I'm wondering...

-- How do you go about putting a value on Diamond? How much is it worth (in total or on a per-visit basis once you have status)? How do I know if it's worth it or not for me?

-- Assuming that work-paid trips will not get it done alone, what's the easiest, best, and/or most economical way to reach Diamond?

-- Ignoring the nights I can get via spend on the Visa, does being a Platinum mean that the # of nights I need to reach Diamond is reduced by 5? In other words, on Jan 1st 2014 when I start the year as Platinum, does Hyatt treat it as if I've already stayed 5 nights (which is what it would take someone to hit Platinum without the Visa) toward Diamond?

Some context on my situation:

-- I can probably count on 3-4 stays and 10-12 nights paid for by work in 2014.

-- I have a variety of HP and HH properties near me that run ~$100/night + tax, so I can make some headway via MRs, but doing ~20 of them to hit Diamond seems crazy expensive.

-- I'm Hilton Gold via P2. No status on SPG or Marriott.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate any insight, suggestions, or pointing-out-of-the-obvious that you can offer.

Kalboz, Tenmoc and NYCUA1K like this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Diamond takes 25 stays unless you get them to offer you a challenge, but my understanding is they only do that if you already have top tier status at a competitor. I was able to do it with some "mileage runs" - see if you can find a local HYatt Place or the like.

Of course, only worthwhile if you can use it. Free breakfasts at top hotels can be amazing and the guaranteed suite upgrades on paid stays are exceptional. It comes down to dollars and cents - if your travel planned makes it worthwhile. To me, Hyatt is the best of the best. Yes, I love my Starwood Platinum suite upgrades and you won't routinely get those on award stays with Hyatt. But Hyatt always delivers at least what they promise and oftentimes more. We got upgraded to a friggin mansion at the Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok to a suite we will never forget. Good luck.

Kalboz, Tenmoc and TAHKUCT like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To go from 3-4 stays and 10-12 nights to either 25 stays or 50 nights is a lot of effort and money. It's unlikely to be worth it as you just don't travel enough to be able to get the benefits very often. A better question would be whether it's even worth it to maintain Hyatt Platinum for your travel patterns.

Tenmoc likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A very expensive proposition
    I think that the value of a site like MilePoint is as much in information that posters can provide "live" as in information that one can obtain from prior threads on a topic of interest. In June of this year, there was a lively thread titled "Rate Hyatt Gold Passport" that I highly recommend because the far-ranging discussion and opinions expressed therein should allow anyone interested in GP to get a good idea about what's great or not so great with the program.

The short of it is that making Hyatt GP Diamond is a tall order and expensive proposition. Keeping the Hyatt GP Diamond status year after year is an even taller order. The only justification for it would be if one travels extensively, and the best way to afford it would be for the travel and the stays to be business-related and, thus, reimbursable. Heck, both of those criteria apply to me, and yet I do not feel that I can justify nearly doubling my budget for lodging just to make GP Diamond (I make HHonors Diamond in just 12-13 stays, i.e. half of the number of stays required to make GP Diamond, because HHonors allows members to qualify on "base points" and not just on stays or nights, which translates to "just" $12K-$13K/yr).

Tenmoc likes this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Value of diamond: lounge access and/or breakfast might be a win, moreso if it's not otherwise reimbursable (are you on per diem? will they pay for club floor anyway?), the bonus points in lieu of check-in amenity are valuable (especially if you can stay when a club is closed), and there's that 4pm guaranteed checkout. The first of those are most valuable at full-service hotels, less so at HP and HH. I don't love suites as much as some. Value for you: Keep in mind that Hyatts can be relatively expensive. How price sensitive are you on your personal travel? At 3-4 work stays and 10-12 nights, that's a lot of out-of-pocket staying needed.

The platinum you get with the CC doesn't count -- it doesn't lower the requirements.

Easiest/best/economical: a challenge, timed to overlap a long stay or three. HH gold might be enough to convince them. I tend to think of the best HP/HH rates as being around $66-75 dollars -- look for AAA, Costco, and hyatt.com prepaid rates. If you already have diamond, I'd look for full-service properties with a closed club lounge (e.g. Hyatt Santa Clara, on weekends). With the 1000 point diamond amenity + 2500 for the closed lounge and occasionally low weekend rates, even a full-service hotel can be a good mattress run property.

I've had diamond for a couple of years. I've loved it, but I also have not tried hard to requalify and don't expect to have it in 2014. Part of the problem is that much of my travel is self-funded, I'm very price sensitive, and Hyatt is so often not price competitive even after I factor in the incremental extra value I get as a diamond member (breakfast, lounge, late check-out, points). And Hyatt's footprint isn't as complete at others -- I spent nearly two weeks this summer in a city with only one Hyatt, and it wasn't convenient to where I needed to be.

Tenmoc and Singapore Flyer like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't look like it would make any sense. You just don't have many stays, so little chance to benefit and a lot of effort and expense to gain. Unless you have a lot of leisure travel planned (and it does not sound like you do) just ignore status earning unless you have very expensive stays.

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you be able to "hotel hop" (i.e. move hotels during your stays) during your work-funded trips? (Would it be practical for you, and would there be multiple Hyatt properties in your locations?

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. phlguy80

phlguy80 Active Member

Status Points:
    You all are awesome. Thank you. I was leaning against trying for it unless my travel ramps up, but it's good to hear that more seasoned MPers agree on that.

Maybe for some of the trips. This is a good thought to keep in mind, thanks.

Thanks! Anyone know what the current challenge is, i.e. how many nights/stays in how long?

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you get approved for a challenge, it is 12 nights in 60 days. They do give you Diamond status during the challenge period and you also get 4 suite upgrades. there is also a timing period. Basically try to do it in the second half of the year as you will get an extra couple of months. I made diamond near May of this year on my challenge and it is only good till next Feb. If you do it in the second half of the year, you should get it to the Feb. of the following year (if I am not mistaken... )

theworldofmarye and Tenmoc like this.
  10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Each case is different. I have 11 nights booked in Europe in June at different Hyatts - none for cash. They are Cannes, Paris (Park Hyatt!) and Berlin. The free breakfasts will more than make up for my incremental spend to meet the Diamond Challenge and I have another 8 months to take advantage of the Diamond Suite upgrades. Worked for me - in spades - not to mention that I due to the current promotion, I ended up with 30,000 bonus points!

IDGflygirl and Tenmoc like this.
  11. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    The easiest and cheapest way to get to Hyatt Diamond status is to stay at one of the 12 MGM properties in Las Vegas during the winter. Winter rates can drop as low as $20 a night. Let's call is $30 after taxes x 25 = $750 and you've got Diamond status. :)

12. phlguy80

phlguy80 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! So that's 12 nights, not 12 stays? That might actually be doable for me if I time it right.

Heh, that's clever.

Do you (or does anyone) know if I could combine that with a challenge? In other words, 12 nights at say $30/night in 2 months?

Flights to Vegas are often cheap, and Vegas does not exactly suck. I could justify treating myself to a couple short vacations out there if it would get me 80% of the way through a Diamond challenge at knockdown rates.

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the MGM properties are excluded from the Hyatt Diamond Challenge.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    His HH Gold as long as he has some HH activity, will grant him the challenge with Hyatt.
    12 nights in 60 days. Get Diamond during the challenge and usually a group of bonus points per night for nights 1-6 of the 12.

Each case of value is different. Do your plans include any Hyatts where you really want diamond? Or is this just a get it to have it type of thing?

Hotel hopping and qualifying on stays really is cheaper (as little as 25 nights vs 50 nights qualifying on nights)

I find most hyatts to run 30-50% more in cost vs hilton properties, but you only need 25 stays with hyatt vs 30 with hilton for diamond.

Also, by hotel hopping you'll get more stay based bonuses. The diamond amenity, any closed club bonus, any stay based hotel specific bonus etc can really crank up the points earned in a year.

Are you planning a family trip to Hawaii where Hyatt is among the best choices? Or somewhere with a Park Hyatt that normally goes for far more money than you'd like to spend? These are how I value Hyatt. By my needs each year.

In my 25 stays this year, I never once went to a club in a hyatt hotel. Many of my stays were in closed club properties on weekends, or just didn't have a club or once we just didn't go. So I value the club at nothing. But that's just me. Everyone else here likely values the club some.

Another thing to think about is do you cruise Royal Caribbean? There is some value on RCCL cruises with Hyatt Diamond when moved through MLife. 10 drink certificates and a free specialty restaurant (so about $100) but it is a little value if that's something you'll already do anyway.

My best advice, decide what you think you'll get out of it and then determine if you feel the costs are worth that benefit vs just paying for that benefit on those stays outright.

Kalboz, phlguy80 and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Poor cost-to-benefit ratio is the main problem with making GP Diamond by hotel-hopping. I'd considered the meaning of making GP Diamond on 25 stays or nights and decided that considering the cost of staying at Hyatt properties and the benefit of just essentially crashing for one night and moving on, the cost-to-benefit ratio would not be worth it for me. Diamond in 25 nights would mean just checking in (available at most places only after noon), going to sleep at whatever hour and then checking out, without interacting with the property at all. For such short stays, one might as well stay at Holiday Inn Express because the meaning or value of spending just a few hours at a pricey Hyatt property, even with a suite upgrade, is dubious.

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can agree with that mostly.

Next year my pattern will not look like that as I spend both the points earned and the suite upgrades earned.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  17. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am strictly going from memory here, but I think there are stay and night credits for charging up to certain thresholds on the Hyatt credit card, just like the Starwood cards. Maybe up to 5 stays and 10 nights. That still doesn't get me close enough to make it worthwhile trying to maintain my status for next year.

NYCUA1K and Tenmoc like this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is stay/night credit for using the Chase Hyatt CC but it is not very good:
    After spending $40K, one gets 5-stay / 10-night credits toward earning the GP Diamond Status. That is, one gets only 20% of the number of stays/nights required to make GP Diamond after spending $40K, while this would be enough for one to make HH Diamond on the HHonors AMEX Surpass or HHonors Citi Reserve visa

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    phlguy80, traveltoomuch and Tenmoc like this.
  19. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see your point, but .... if you assume you're making short stays anyway, I'd still rather be at a Hyatt than at a Holiday Inn Express. The bedding is better (ah, feathers...). Assuming you're already diamond (challenge?), the breakfast is better, there's the possibility of evening snacks in the club, and there are the diamond amenity points at check-in.

ballardFlyer, Tenmoc and IDGflygirl like this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    By all means, stay at Hyatt if your travel budget can allow the much higher room rates, but not because of snacks and b-fast since the savings realized by staying at Holiday Inn Express would be enough for royal feast...

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

traveltoomuch and Tenmoc like this.
  21. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but certainly not on-property at your Holiday Inn Express! ;-)

IDGflygirl, NYCUA1K and Tenmoc like this.
  22. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if holiday in express is in play, so to are hyatt place which can be price competitive. The choice isn't park hyatt vs HIX (and we've already made the assumption that hyatt has coverage...)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  23. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can the upgrades your receive during the challenge be used during award stays?

Tenmoc likes this.
  24. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Hyatt suite awards are for paid rates only, which for my stay patterns devalues them a fair bit as almost all of my multi-night stays are for leisure where often I would prefer to pay in points, while most of my hotel nights overall are 1-night work stays where i don't really care to burn an instrument.

phlguy80 and Tenmoc like this.
  25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You might save money at the HI Express but the in-room soft products just aren't the same.