newbie - open jaw CLT-LAS, DEN-CLT on continental, delta, or Usair

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by curtis1120, Nov 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. curtis1120

curtis1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Southwest has fairly inexpensive fares between LAS and DEN that are non-stop. So, I was thinking of doing an open jaw with one of the above airlines and then using southwest to fly between LAS and DEN. Questions:
    • How do I look for open jaw tickets?
    • Do all 3 of the above airlines offer open jaw?
    • Am I correct that open jaw plus a southwest fare would be less than the equivalent miles for "multi-city"?
    • We can also use GSP. Does hidden city ticketing work with FF miles as well? (ie if there is a lower fare GSP_CLT_LAS than CLT-LAS then will there also be more FF availability?)
    • Anything else I should know about open jaw trips?
    Thanks!

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When buying an open-jaw ticket, you have more flexibility and often a lower price if you buy two one-way tickets. Any of the search engines (Kayak, ITA, Expedia, etc.) ought to be able to search for two one-way fares or a multi-city fares. Any of those airlines probably have routes.

ITA will often get you the best flexibility when doing multi-city trips because it's not searching the airlines' own websites. http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Whether it's cheaper depends on the fares you find, and whether it would be more or less miles depends on the route.

I could be wrong, but "hidden city ticketing" doesn't seem smart at the beginning of the trip, as missing your first flight could cancel the rest of them. I may be mis-reading your question.

Lower fares do not necessarily mean more award ticket availability. Each airline has a proprietary algorithm and process that determine how many award seats they offer (or that Delta doesn't offer).

Final question: are you trying to get to Las Vegas, or are you interested in visiting both cities?

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with southwest is that southwest does not allow you to book a ticket with another carrier. For example, if you booked LAS-DEN via UA/CO and DEN to CLT via US airways, as separate segments on one itinerary, you will be accommodated on DEN to CLT if LAS-DEN is running late or cancels. If Frontier or another airline offers a similar fare than southwest, take them.

With frequent flier availability - it generally goes segment by segment - so no additional availability. For the lower fare from CLT to LAS vs. GSP to LAS - it is one of two things. Either the fare based on the same fare class is lower from GSP to LAS (say an "L" ticket one way to LAS is $150 from GSP and $250 from CLT) or the availability is only available on married segments - so that L ticket is not available on CLT to LAS but available for GSP to LAS via CLT.

expertflyer.com has detailed fare rules if you pay for the service - but isn't too helpful for fare availability on US.
    flightstats.com is a free tool that gives you access to flight availability by bucket.

4. curtis1120

curtis1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I reread my original post and realized I left out an important piece - I'd like to use airline miles. The trips to Las Vegas and Denver are sort of separate (3 days in Vegas then a week skiing). So, the missing a connecting flight concern doesn't apply to this trip. I looked on the airlines websites and it looks like a one way ticket is the same number of miles as a round trip. If that is the case then why would it be advantageous to book one ways?

5. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer does show fare class availability for US flights, are you having an issue using it?

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta and US Airways do not allow you to use 50% of the miles for a one-way booking. AA and CO/UA now do.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apologies - it does show fare availability - but does not show award/upgrade availability.