Newbie on board

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by traveltsar, Oct 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey fellow travelers! I'm new to the forum and I'm on a new mission! Now that I'm no longer single or childless (he/she arrives sometime in May), I must find ways to be able to continue to travel at least 2x a year with my two new travel mates. I'm here to soak up all info to earn miles via MRs, CC purchases via virtual malls or whatever ways you guys can suggest! I look forward to future interactions.

savydog, KathInJax, misman and 11 others like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP travelsar! Congrats on the not being single and the child! You should be able to find more than enough information here to get you started. Where are you located?

rwoman, Mikel, jmrich1432 and 3 others like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

I recommend saving these sites:
    www.flyertalk.com
    www.boardingarea.com
    www.millionmilesecrets.com
    www.thepointsguy.com
    www.frugaltravelguy.com

There are a few good threads on FT in regards to the best bonuses for CC sign-ups. However, the folks at FT are more "rude" while the folks in MP are more friendly and helpful. There are no dumb questions so feel free to ask after doing a little searching around yourself. FT has a horrible search engine so I recommend Googling what you are looking for while having it on site:Flyertalk.com. A new blog that is worth looking at for you is MommyPoints on BoardingArea since she travels with her daughter and her husband at times and is in a similar situation as you.

4. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    @ JohnDeere19: PHL is my base.

@ Jimgotkp: I'm familiar w/ FT. I go by the same moniker on there as well. Plenty of times I've had to reword a post while trying to avoid rudeness.

Thanks to you both!

rwoman, JohnDeere19 and Jimgotkp like this.
  5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! Jimgotkp posted some great links. Part of my daily read. :)

rwoman, lwkatya, JohnDeere19 and 2 others like this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP traveltsar! enjoy your stay here!

7. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, traveltsar! Congratulations on your upcoming addition! I've been flying in/out of PHL for the last 6 months! You're in a great location to use many different airports and airlines. Don't get too focused on only flying out of PHL and you're award availability will increase substantially!

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Adding my greetings to your welcome list! Welcome aboard - feel free to ask questions ... we all started somewhere! :)

rwoman, lwkatya, JohnDeere19 and 2 others like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know whether this is still true, but it used to be the case that for many overseas trips (paid with money) from Philadelphia, it would be cheaper to book a limo (sedan) service to drive you to and from JFK than to add the connecting segments onto an international ticket. This was especially true if you would be using a foreign carrier. For EWR, you can easily take the train and connect from Philadelphia to the airport quite cheaply. BWI, IAD, and DCA are obviously farther but might be worth considering for certain trips.

hulagrrl210, rwoman, Mikel and 2 others like this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    BWI is connected to the Northeast Corridor on Amtrak as well which makes two airports that are worth considering other than just PHL.

rwoman, JohnDeere19 and catgirl like this.
  11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    catgirl, rwoman and jmrich1432 like this.
  12. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint and congrats on the baby!

The little one can fly for free for the first 2 years! :)

catgirl and rwoman like this.
  13. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Million Mile Secret. Funny you mention the age for flying for free. I Thought about that actually. I wonder I she'll let me do MRs with the baby?

Thanks any how

Gargoyle, rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    traveltsar,

Welcome to MP!

:)

15. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the baby!

Remember to sign the little one up with FF programs. It's never to early to join the cult! ;)

In no time you won't be the only elite flyer in your family & therefore you'll have built-in company on MRs!

rwoman, catgirl, cennas and 1 other person like this.
  16. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats with your soon to be. I have two little ones and fly from LAX to EWR every year. If you can, try to utilize EWR since UA/CO has that place covered, while you're pretty much stuck with US Air at PHL.

rwoman, catgirl and cennas like this.
  17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, good habits start early... :D

18. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't have children yet but all friends stay it is a nightmare to fly with babies/young children. I guess I'll have to wait and see myself. Short flights should be okay though!

cennas likes this.
  19. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen people traveling with young kids. Let's just say that in some cases, I was glad I wasn't that person. And on the other hand, I've seen some instances where it looked like it was a piece of cake. I'll definitely be posting when the time comes.

20. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, traveltsar!

cennas likes this.
  21. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a multitude of reasons, I'm glad I don't have kids. I certainly understand why people want kids and I have nothing against those that do. That's just not for me; at least, not now.

I'm based out of MCO and, thanks to Disney, you can't be on a flight without many young kids. Most are well behaved. Some, like yesterday morning, throw tantrums from the moment they set foot on the plane and are so loud, even though they're in the back, you can hear them loud and clear in the front.

Years ago, there was a young girl sitting in the first row of coach who, for the entire two and half hour flight, sang "It's a Small World." I'll give her credit, she knew all the words. But, to this day, so do I. At the time, I thought about jumping out, but, as I look back, I can't help but chuckle.

cennas likes this.
  22. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Babies are easy. Just pop 'em on a boob and as long as they're fed, they're sleeping again. Once they reach about two, which my son is, the fun really begins. You gotta take it all in stride, though. We were all once kids too right?!

dmel, hulagrrl210 and cennas like this.
  23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought babies were to be placed in the overhead bin? :confused:

24. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean has all the overhead space taken. ;)

MSPeconomist, cennas and ACMM like this.
  25. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! I'm expecting a baby myself in February, and while being pregnant has put a temporary hold on a lot of the mileage running, I intend on picking up right where I left off next year to earn as many miles as possible to help fund visiting the in-laws on the opposite side of the world.

I definitely recommend getting familiar with ITA (www.itasoftware.com) and checking out farecompare.com/flyertalk
    There are some good resources over on FT (like credit card offers in the MilesBuzz! section and MR's that get posted in Mileage Run Deals) but if you have questions, MP tends to be a lot friendlier. Just curious, do you have an airline of choice yet?

As for traveling with the little one, I don't have any tips yet, but I easily made 4 trips to Hawaii before I was a year old (the first one at just a few weeks) and I still love to fly! Good luck!