Newbie - Normally spend $3-5K per month (help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by iistrell, Sep 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I am looking for guidance on what is best or where to start my journey in collecting points and ultimate rewards to plan a trip in 2016. My wife had a few suggestions such as France, Hawaii, Europe, Turks Caicos, Dubai, etc. Flying from TX, USA.
    Whats the best credit card to get for the better value for right now because I will have to spend extra $5K within next 4 weeks so need a new card now.
    I will also apply for the 100K-150K AMEX business platinum card around Nov considering I will have an expense in January for about $15K.

2. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
    No reply from anyone?

3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me it's the paralysis effect of too big a question to tackle. If you're starting from zero, you might just want to plan a great vacation that you pay for and let that drive how you pursue points after the fact.

airline or hotel or car?
    amex points and ulitmate rewards points aren't going to merge well together.

I'd suggest you pick a starting point and run with it or narrow the scope of the question.

4. tesadwirhma

tesadwirhma Member

Status Points:
  5. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
  6. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
    I went ahead and ordered spg card and HIlton Honors card last night. So I can start using them until I figure out how all this works.

7. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might be better off focusing on one or the other and get yourself an airline card to go with the hotel. SPG has great transfer ability and I've found their european rewards to have reasonable redemption rates.

Counsellor likes this.
  8. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    One needs miles and points on different airlines and hotels to have flexibility. The spg and Hilton cards are a good start, and your plan for AMEX business platinum is good too. Once you have enough miles/points in those programs and have big spends coming up, you could start accrual on United/Delta/IHG/Marriott also via Chase/AMEX co-branded cards. Everything comes in handy sooner or later.

anileze likes this.