newbie needs helpll

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jayhawkgal, Mar 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jayhawkgal

jayhawkgal New Member

Status Points:
    Greetings! I am new to this site. I love to travel, but am recovering from major spinal surgery right now. I lost the use of my right hand and arm, and have bilateral chronic pain in my hands. Thus I really need the Ipad to communicate!!

I travel to KC from Phoenix, usually on Southwest. How do I find the best deals and/or do promo codes really exist for SW flights? I currently have a SW Visa, but am ready to change.
    My son is a world traveler and we both have miles on several different airlines. I need to learn how to keep track of miles and maximize miles for future use.

Please Help! I value your expertise and look forward to learning and sharing. Would love to have someone mentor me! Enjoy your day!
    Jayhawkgal

gconnery likes this.
  2. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about your surgery but glad that you're recovering!

If KC = Kansas City Intl Airport (MCI), it looks like you have two carriers that serve this route non-stop: Southwest and US airways. I don't know much about travel between this city pair but here are a couple of things that will might help:

1. Look into getting more SW points via credit cards (with the obvious disclaimer that you need to manager your credit well and never carry a balance). Your options are the Chase SW (personal and business) cards and Chase Ultimate Rewards cards (Ink, Sapphire, Freedom, etc). Credit cards are the single easiest way to accumulate miles/points if done properly
    2. Look into booking any known, future SW travel before 3/30. There is a devaluation of SW points coming on 3/30 so if you have any firm plans, use what points you have to book now and, if necessary, cancel later. Cancellation is free, I believe.
    3. (This one is speculative) - Look into accumulating British Airways Avios miles as you will probably be able to use Avios for this route after US airways joins oneworld alliance in march. IF nothing changes (this is a big IF), a round trip on this route would cost 15k miles, which is pretty good value per point.
    4. Look into accumulating US miles. This route isn't usually a great use of points but I would accumulate some US miles just to diversify.

These are just off the top of my head but they should get you started with your research. Hope this helps!

gconnery likes this.