Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by gladiator666, Jul 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gladiator666

gladiator666 New Member

Status Points:
    HI all,
    Just signed up and hope someone can point me in the right direction:
    I signed up for a trial preferred gold membership with US air (i was going to England and the extra bag fees were the same price as the trial so I signed up) and i am 5000 miles short to make it official.
    Where can i search to find cheap flights out of Buffalo NY (on US AIR) to anywhere to meet that requirement in the next month, most travel sites require a destination to search and I am just interested in any destination to make the trial.
    Thanks in advance,

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Traveling from BUF to either SEA or LAX will run short of the 5k you're looking for, but you could go to LHR (London) and back to earn just over 7k miles. I would check the routes US Air flies to see what your options are for location and pricing, or shortlist a few routes that will be over 5k miles roundtrip, then check prices for the best option.

Good luck, and welcome to MP! :)

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This can actually be done via a transcon. BUF-PHL-SEA is 2600 miles. If you're not going to pick up minimums for the short segment you could find a 2-stop flight as well. I did see a few as low as $450 round trip. Not what I would consider cheap but I found that one without a lot of work. A little more elbow grease may find you what you're looking for.

MSYgirl likes this.
  4. gladiator666

gladiator666 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies!
    Transcon? what is that. And i guess i do get 500 per segment that is less than that, if that addresses your question on minimums. Thanks again

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Transcon=transcontinental flight. Flying from one coast to the other as opposed to having to fly overseas. You can get your required miles flying in the US which is generally cheaper than needing to fly overseas.

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dublin usually has some decent fares.

If you're staying with-in the lower-48, look at multiple connection flights and pickup those 500 mile minimums. I still miss the BUF-ROC flights.

The Caribbean usually has good fares as well. SJU worked out for me for many quick getaways.