Newbie needs help getting 21,000 EQP's with AA by Feb.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jasonsrich, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Currently have 79,000 EQP's and 53,000 EQM's with AA and need to get to 100,000 by Feb. I am flying out of CVG.

Would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. I really appreciate the help!!!

Also don't really understand what the 86,000 miles gets me either?

Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Feb 13, 2013

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP jasonsrich! 80,000 miles can get you 2 roundtrips US-Europe off peak in economy or if you build it up, you can get a US-Europe business or first class ticket for 100,000 or 125,000 miles respectively. I suggest you head over to the AA forum and check out some of the FAQs (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/aa-faq.6711/)

There are some great business class deals to Europe right now which might help put you over the edge without too much time (although there are cheaper options out there)...when can you travel?

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP jasonsrich! :)

Can we clarify some things before we start? I can already see some confusion in what you've posted, and I want to make sure you're getting solid advice.

To start: Why do you need the 21,000 EQP? I can think of two reasons based on what you've written and what we know about AA's program. Those two reasons are:

1. You have miles that are expiring Feb 13, 2013. If your goal is to make sure they don't expire, you DON'T actually have to earn 21,000 EQP. You just need to have some account activity. Any activity will do. Even earning 1 mile counts. Or giving away 1000 miles.

Those EQP are for elite status, NOT for mileage expiration. To keep your miles from expiring, you just have to keep your account active, and you do that by earning or burning miles. Some easy ways to get a few quick miles? Try registering for AAdvantage Dining, Buy/Share/Gift AA miles, or even taking a flight. Also, please note that your expiration is 2013, so you have over a year.

2. If you are actually trying to earn elite status, that's a whole different ball game. You're actually probably going to find it easier to get the EQM depending on what type of flying you do.

If you are trying to earn Executive Platinum status (EXP), please note that you need to get your 100K EQP/EQM by the end of the year, NOT by Feb.

So before we go any further, which is it that you want? :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my reaction too, that you must mean that you need 21000 status miles by December 31, not February. Earning status is usually based on the calendar year for USA carriers, even though the status expires a month or two into the year.

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP jasonsrich!

lwkatya likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One of the basic aspects of frequent flier programs, and one which is usually not well explained, is that there are really two different types of miles: Redeemable Miles (I'll call them RDM's). Those are the miles you can exchange for flights, or sometimes for hotel rooms, magazine subscriptions, etc. The other type are Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM's) which are an accounting of what you have earned towards elite status in the program.

With most programs, RDM's, if not used, expire after a set period of inactivity (it could be 18 months, 2 years, 3 years, or never, each program is different). Any kind of activity can generally extend the expiration date, perhaps even earning 10 miles with a credit card or spending a few hundred for a magazine subscription.

EQM's generally expire Dec. 31 of every year, so each year you start from scratch requalifying for status. An exception is Delta, which has "roll-over miles".

In most cases RDM's can be earned in many different ways (credit cards, hotel rooms, rental cars, restaurants, airline website promos and surveys, or even flying); EQM's are generally (with exceptions) earned for BIS (Butt-In-Seat) flying. In some cases you earn bonus EQM's for more expensive fares.

So, "miles" could mean EQM's or RDM's, but they are entirely separate creatures.

rwoman and catgirl like this.