Newbie Needs Help Booking Award Flight from SGN

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by fauxfive55, May 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. fauxfive55

fauxfive55 Active Member

Status Points:
    howdy folks -

i started accumulating miles not long ago and thanks to forums like this, i have enough to book a few tickets... needless to say, i'm not familiar with using my united miles to book efficiently and want to make sure I'm getting on the best flight or partner airline with the least amount of miles spent (it is my mother-in-law after all!)

so that being said, what's the best way (and cheapest mile usage) to get my mother-in-law from ho chi minh city, vietnam to los angeles. my wife and I just had a baby, so we're excited to get some help from my mother-in-law, so flying her out here sooner than later would be great although we're very flexible on dates. fyi, she was just granted a visa the other day.

thanks a ton for the suggestions!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the new kid!

What cabin do you want her in? Also, do you have miles in any other programs?

For Star Alliance the partner options aren't all that great; most require two connections. There is a single-connect option on Asiana via Seoul but the flight times aren't great. You can try calling in and seeing if there is space on the EVA flights via TPE; those flight times are actually pretty good. But the awards cost a bit more, I believe, and they're hard to actually get booked as EVA isn't in Star Alliance yet.

SkyTeam would actually be one of the easier options with Vietnam Airlines, China Southern and Delta (possible via NRT or CAN) or oneworld as a single connect via HKG on Cathay.

Also, are you looking to book a one-way or a return trip? She may run in to trouble with immigration if she only has a one-way and no planned departure date.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you posted on the UA forum, I assume that your intention is to redeem using UA miles. UA runs a daily service between SGN and HKG. but to get to LAX from there, UA flights connect through NRT, which makes it a relatively long trip. The most direct way out SGN on UA may be to SFO, doing SGN-HKG-SFO, then a quick hop to LAX. Without a saver award, you'd be looking at 65K miles in economy each way...