Newbie needing to Get To S. Korea to get belongings

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by WillHuff, Oct 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WillHuff

WillHuff Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone, I'm thankful for finding this forum.

I was a teacher in Korea but came home for visa issues and was denied a work visa, now I need to get to Korea cheaply to pick up my belongings, I am out of work so I need to find a trick to get there for a low fare! I'm in Arkansas presently .

I have AAdvantage with 7,300 miles. but I can't find anything to help me out. Is there a special way to find a low rate per mile to get me there?

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint WillHuff!

I wish you were coming here under better circumstances, I'm so sorry to hear that you were denied a work visa. When were you looking to travel and how long would you need to be there for? Also do you have any miles in other programs?

lwkatya, uggboy, alohastephen and 3 others like this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP WillHuff!

lwkatya, uggboy, JohnDeere19 and 2 others like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you find a solution to your travel. Welcome to milePoint.

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]

lwkatya, uggboy, cennas and 2 others like this.
  5. WillHuff

WillHuff Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone.. I was looking at this site before because I love traveling and am wanting to teach all around the world and get rewarded for it.. lol

I'd like to get to Korea soon since all of my winter clothes are there and the length of stay wouldn't matter to me, I just need to get 3 hours south of Seoul to get my stuff and back on a plane. :)

Those are all of the miles I have. I need to find out if I can get credited for the flight I made to Korea in March even though it was purchased for me.

uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you still have the boarding passes for the flight in March? If so, and in your name, I would think and hope you you should be able to get credit for those flights - if the time has not been too long.

7. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another option to consider is if you know someone in the area who could ship the items back to you. Shipping may be cheaper then trying to fly out there yourself to get your stuff.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any chance that they'll deny you entry into the country when you show up and they look at the denied visa application? I have no experience with that, but I think I have seen immigration forms (landing cards?) for some countries that asked about previously denied visas. Don't recall what the ROK card looked like.

I'd definitely look into the option of having the stuff shipped back. Maybe even "abandon" or donate some stuff that's not worth sending back cost-effectively. I suspect if you buy a ticket, it will cost you about $1000 and your 7300 miles won't get you anywhere. Even if you were to get credit for your flight in March (what airline?), that wouldn't be sufficient. Maybe check out fares over the Thanksgiving holidays; those used to be fairly good dates for cheap transatlantic fares, but at least United this year seems to have cancelled international flights to cut capacity.

9. WillHuff

WillHuff Active Member

Status Points:
    I looked at shipping on a plane as unaccompanied bags and it was over $600. I'd rather fly and take a trip for that.. lol... Plus i have like 90lbs of stuff so shipping is pretty high. If I could go and get miles out of it I'd like that.

10. WillHuff

WillHuff Active Member

Status Points:
    I pretty much left everything I own over there and it would cost a bunch to send it. Plus I'd have to wire money which would have a large fee on that to go with the shipping.. I'd rather try to find a cheap flight to personally go get it. Just wondering if there are ways to find one.. I'm not worried about using the miles.. I'd like to gain more for future use. But being out of work I'd have to keep it as low as possible!

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consolidators specializing on travel to Asia might get you a better fare than internet searches. Not sure how you'd find one. The travel section of the San Francisco Chronicle here tends of have ads (thanks to the large Asian/Asian-American population and the fact that SFO is a major gateway to Asia) but I have no experiences with them. Forums like this or Flyertalk may offer existing threads -- search Google with "site:milepoint.com consolidators ..." or "site:flyertalk.com ..."

uggboy, JohnDeere19 and cennas like this.
  12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem WillHuff and I do hope you'll find a solution to it :)

lwkatya, uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are going to pay a lot more and risk being denied entry upon arrival if you go to fetch the stuff yourself. Even if you do get credit for the other flight over (and that is likely to be difficult at best) you still won't have enough points to make the trip any easier/cheaper.

Ship is with a courier rather than as freight with an airline and it should be more reasonable than the $600 you were quoted for the air cargo. And even if it isn't you are still much more likely to actually be successful in your efforts to recover your stuff.

14. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, at 90 lbs plus, the baggage charges on a cheap fare will be hard to swallow....

15. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of curiosity, I checked on the Korea Post website (the postal service of Korea) and it shows that the cost to ship 2 20kg boxes (40kg is around 90lbs) from Korea to the US would come out to less then $220 for both (although I couldn't find box size limitations). It would be another option to look into.

16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you really wanted to go over there yourself, I'd first recommend working with the South Korean Consulate so you are guaranteed entry to be able to pick up your stuff. I am fairly sure they will be accommodating in this

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  17. WillHuff

WillHuff Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for your help, I found someone who is coming to the States for Thanksgiving and will bring my duffle bag as his carry on!! I also have a friend packing a box to send me other things and I will give some clothes to ex-Pats who are there to teach. I still am interested in traveling a lot and will be trying to find out all of the tricks to getting miles.

Again, thanks for all of your help!!!!

18. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats and be sure to start looking around and asking questions...you'll be up and running in no time!

ACMM likes this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ummmm - I think he wants to be flying ... not running :rolleyes: :D

catgirl and JohnDeere19 like this.