Newbie lost in the translation!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Slogger, Oct 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Greetings to all from Virginia and I'm glad to be here!
    I learned about this site from an article http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/10/14/mile-runners/. It is an interesting read and I signed up to milepoint right away.

I used to travel to Kuwait quite often and racked up enough miles to get to United's 1K status. I was wondering if I have any hope of retaining my status in 2012 based on the note below. I lose my 6 system upgrades in January if not used. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks again!!

Now my account says: Progress toward 2012 1K status and 6 Systemwide Upgrades as of Oct 15, You need 80,868 elite status miles (EQM) or 113.5 elite status segments (EQS)

JohnDeere19, rwoman, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your note is in white...I copied below

Looks like it's just a reminder saying you need 80868 EQM or 113.5 EQS to retain 1K in 2012

So how many EQM/EQS you are short of after counting the travel you have scheduled for the remaining of the year

JohnDeere19 and rwoman like this.
  3. Sorry, I guess the cut and pasted didn't work so well. The note says: You need 80,868 elite status miles or 113.5 elite status segments.

I am still slogging through the forum to understand this better. Is it possible to get 80K miles by December 31 by booking the types of trips described in the new article I mentioned??

Thanks a lot!

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP Slogger!

Regarding your question, it sure is possible to get 80K EQM by doing a lot of mileage runs. But within 2 months, it looks like quite a work.

5. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's possible, especially if you have sufficient time and/or money. Booking premium class w/EQM multipliers would help speed the process up.

In addition keep an eye out for MR deals that allow for flexible routings. To get an idea of what can be done, read the Milepoint & Flyertalk threads from this past spring on the UA/CO EWR-SEA fares. 2 of those r/ts netted me @60K EQM! ;o)

Welcome to MP, Slogger & enjoy the ride!

6. Thanks everyone. I had better get started.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good luck, 80K EQM is difficult to rack up on the type of mileage runs discussed in the article in just 2 months.

The good news is: since you have those 6 system upgrades, if you book the right fare class (ugh - UA and its fare class restrictions....!) you could possibly do some of your mileage runs in business class. But again, the last 2 months of the year are full of busy travel schedules, so upgrades might be difficult.

In case you haven't found it yet, here is where our United experts hang out: LINK. Read up and make friends, these people will be your new compatriots.

Again, good luck and welcome to MP!

8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I modified the OPs post to show the United note.

Slugger, welcome to MP and hope you find all your answers here and look forward to your contributions.

rwoman likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Making up 80k EQM purely on MRs to get 1K status seems like a waste of time and money to me, and it wouldn't make any sense to me if the OP's travel next year was similar to this year's. The money spent on MRs now could then potentially be used to buy premium class tickets next year. While it's maybe difficult to accept seeing SWUs go to waste, throwing a ton of extra money at UA just to use them for something isn't an approach I would take. Maybe the OP is able to find a fellow 1K friend who is interested in using some of these 2011 SWUs in exchange for 2012 SWUs. And UA might be will to extend the validity of one of the SWUs as they have done in the past.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As you've said that assumes OP won't be traveling more next year, which might not be the case.

And as I've said on numerous occasions, value can only be determined by the user. I don't think LT airline status has much value, but that doesn't stop me from shaking my head and wishing people luck when they transfer points and spend thousands of $$$ to get it. ;)

If OP is going to fly the same amount as he did this year, I'd agree that there isn' much value in retaining 1K. But he might see the value, and if he wants it, good luck with it.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely -- the only thing that matters is how he values his time and money now based on future travel needs.

As someone with a job that doesn't require travel, a gap of 80k EQM with roughly 10 weekends left in the year would mean 8k EQM per weekend. Ouch! :)

JohnDeere19, Scottrick and rwoman like this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd throw in the towel personally, but that Fox News article has people streaming in with grandiose dreams. Some will succeed and become FF devotees, others will realize it's too much time and hassle to make it worthwhile for them.

Honestly that article came at an awful time. They should have published it in January so everyone could start with a 12 month clean slate of mileage earning potential. The article was about the mileage runner "high season", so I get it, but still, these new recruits are getting shafted. :cool:

13. wdlyonsjr

wdlyonsjr Active Member

Status Points:
    i am new to this site, but have been traveling for free, etc as often as i could for years. the majority of that was through flying, credit cards, surveys, etc. my question is though, how does a person find a flight path like mentioned in the fox news article racking up 35,000 miles for 320 $. like i said, i am really new to this, but how does a person get started on being a "mileage runner"?

14. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP wdlyonsjr!

Enjoy your stay here.

15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slogger,

Welcome to MP! As stated, I'd do this depending on your flying plans for next year....pending availability to fly and spend the $$ to do so. :)

I'm on my way home right now from LHR-CDG-DXB-CDG-LHR and I know I'm tired after that 7500mile trip! But, a $500 fare and ensuring DM status next year was worth it in my case.

:)robin

JohnDeere19, Scottrick and cennas like this.
  16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    wdlyonssr,

Again, welcome! :) The article does not say when the person flew those routings...just with taxes, it's unlikely to find 35k elite qualification miles for $320. That said, I am doing JFK-YUL-AMS-WAW-AMS-YYZ-JFK in February and spent $360.

Watching for deals along the way will help and quickly making the decision to make a trip.

:)robin

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it takes a lot of patience and planning. My travel this year was about 67K "real" (impressive for a full time leisure traveling student, IMO) and 33K mileage runs. I booked half of those mileage runs in fall of 2010 when they started to appear. The other half I booked in early 2011. I already had a good idea of how much I would be traveling this year, which is why I made the push for 1K. It gets really tough to find both enough mileage runs, and the time to fly them, if you wait until the end of the year. So my advice is to think now about how much you'll fly next year. Is it really worth it to get 1K again? Can you tolerate being Premier Silver or Premier Gold for a few months, and shift the mileage runs you would have done this year into early 2012?

18. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

JohnDeere19, cennas and rwoman like this.
  19. wdlyonsjr

wdlyonsjr Active Member

Status Points:
    but where does one begin to look for them....on the websites from the airlines themselves...bing...etc?

JohnDeere19 and Gargoyle like this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    keep an eye on the mileage run and airline forums here, and also dig through the wikis (link at the top of every page here) for ideas.

http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html is also a useful tool, if you spot a price per mile under 3 ¢ you might be on to a very good deal.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  21. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP slogger & wdlyonsjr!
    A lot of people here including myself tend to use itasoftware which can be very powerful once you learn how to use it. Here's a help article to get you started!

cennas and rwoman like this.
  22. wdlyonsjr

wdlyonsjr Active Member

Status Points:
    so here's another question.....since you can't buy the tickets off of the matrix website...how do you proceed to buy them then?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  23. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually a site like Kayak.com, expedia, orbitz, or even the airline's own website should work.