Newbie looking for any Aussie Expats out there?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jvjones13, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and the mile collecting game. We have AA points, but that is pretty much it. Realized the other day that with flights being $2k per ticket, we are going to have to ramp up the miles for award tickets if we want to keep visiting family.

Soooo, wondering if there are any Aussie expats who travel from US to Oz frequently and wondering your strategy?

It's hard getting 75k miles (x4) all the time to travel there! I only know about applying for credit cards to get the bonus miles and/or using them to purchase things for miles.

If you have any pointers for me, would love to hear them....maybe this goes in another forum? Is there a newbie board?

Thanks for any help.
    Julie

pcarol, Sunshine7, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! This is a perfectly acceptable place to post your question. Sorry, I can't give you any tips, but I am sure that others will.

pcarol and uggboy like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is no real strategy that is specific to your case. Look up what airlines fly to your destination and make a plan to get the miles. It obviously will not be quick because of the number of miles you need.

You mention AA which is great. You can get many miles from Citi (credit cards and checking accounts). But there is also United that flys to SYD. You could apply for the UA cards and then the Sapphire cards and transfer those points to UA.

Another way to get some points is through Fidelity although that takes a significant amount of available cash to get any significant miles.

maradori, pcarol and miles and smiles like this.
  4. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome, miles and smiles (like your tag line! So cheery!). Glad to know I posted in the right spot.

I have not heard of Sapphire cards, deant, will have to look into that...thanks! Will look into Fidelity too as we have money there already.

Great tips already!
    Julie

pcarol, Gargoyle and miles and smiles like this.
  5. spgExplorer

spgExplorer Active Member

Status Points:
    pcarol and miles and smiles like this.
  6. altchristopher

altchristopher Active Member

Status Points:
    I travel to SYD about 3x per year. I focus on CC sign up and Shopping Portals combined with Chase Freedom to Bold UR Transfers. I like to maximize on Delta MR cards too. Most people shy away from Skypesos but I like the availability to SYD from LAX and can get by for cheap easily.

I just did an MR to Delta for the Virgin first class ticket 150k + 125 out of LAX.

Focus on hoarding your point in UR and MR until you are ready with your decision on which airline to book and make sure you try to book out as far as possible to hit low value tickets.

I would be interested as I am going to TAS in November for two weeks... Any must see places? So far hitting Freycinet, Hobart, Cradle Mountain, and Devonport.

7. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi altchristopher! Sydney 3x per year! Awesome. We are not that fortunate, but we try to take the kids every 12-18 months if possible. Will be different now that the oldest is in school though.

Anyway...what is MR and UR? This lingo is like another language to me. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere? :) And what is Skypesos? Unfortunately, a lot of what you said, I have no clue what any of it means. Will definitely check it all out though and see if I can learn something. Maybe someone will enlighten me?

I have not been to Tazzie, but would love to one day. Thanks for your tips!
    Jules

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you will use your cursor to highlight any terms or abbreviations you don't know, the Milepoint glossary will often define them for you. Skypesos is the term often given to Delta Skymiles because many frequent flyers find them more difficult to redeem. UR refers to ultimate rewards which you earn with certain Chase credit cards and which can be transferred to a few airlines' miles and a few hotel chain's points.

pcarol, spgExplorer and jvjones13 like this.
  9. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    I just did an MR to Delta for the Virgin first class ticket 150k + 125 out of LAX.

Okay, does this mean that you used Delta skymiles for a low mileage level ticket one way with 150k skypesos and then I'm not sure where the 125 comes in? Does MR mean mileage rewards in this instance?

Thanks for all the help guys...just trying to figure it all out. Man, Delta requires a LOT of miles compared to the others to get anywhere. Is it easier to accumulate them? Doesn't appear to be.

Thx.

10. spgExplorer

spgExplorer Active Member

Status Points:
    I believe they are referring to Membership Rewards, which are earned via various American Express credit cards (similar to Chase Ultimate Rewards). You can transfer Membership Rewards (MR) to various frequent flier program, and they often feature a bonus for transferring to a particular program (right now there is a 40% bonus for transferring to British Airways Avios).

The $125 refers to taxes and fees that are paid for the award ticket. As you'll learn, these can vary greatly depending on the airline, destination and source of points.

Keep in mind that MR will sometimes refer to Mileage Run on these forums (where folks book flights for elite status credit and miles). If you can't find the abbreviations as miles and smiles suggested above, you may want to copy and paste the term into another tab on your browser, which can often be helpful trying to decipher miles and points lingo.

jvjones13 and pcarol like this.
  11. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    I travel to Sydney for work. I like using USAir as my base program because they have pretty good deals for trips to Oz. I find really good availability too if you're willing to lay-over in Hong Kong or Seoul.

The Sapphire Card is Chase Sapphire. No international transaction fee. But they don't transfer to US. They transfer to United and United is my backup program.

Also look at some Bank of America cards that could earn you miles. BOA partners with WestPac (in OZ, NZ and Fiji) so you can transfer money easily without fees and withdraw money from ATMs in OZ without fees!

I'm not a huge fan of the Virgin program. But, what I've recommended to a few people is considering joining Singapore Airlines program (part of Star Alliance) then you could have miles from VirginAus post to Singapore (that was active in Dec 2011 so check to make sure they're still partners) You could also fly United or USAir while in US and have those miles post to Singapore Air. Not sure what CC offers they have.

Good luck.

jvjones13 likes this.