Newbie looking for a good fit

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Cold Cut Combo, Apr 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Cold Cut Combo

Cold Cut Combo New Member

Status Points:
    Hi there, I just signed up today but I've been curious for a while about collecting air miles with a credit card. I currently have one credit card (a Mastercard) that I use almost never, frequently doing my purchases with debit. I think that my credit card collects points which I can redeem for silly household items, but I'm not really sure. I'd like to exchange it for one which collects air miles of some sort that I would preferably be able to use on Air Canada, and maybe earn a free trip or something.

What I'd like to do is travel domestically or through the united states to site see on the cheap. I don't mind staying in hostels, but after reading a few posts I thought maybe it would be a good idea to get a second credit card that gets points for booking certain hotels? I live near Toronto and own a car, so I could either fly out of Pearson, Hamilton (for Westjet flights) or with a bit more effort the airport in buffalo. I was thinking just because Toronto is my closest international airport, I'd do well with an Aeroplan card of some sort.

As it stands now I don't do a lot of travelling, having done about 1 trip a year for the past few years on sunwing to a carribean island such as Jamaica, Cuba, or the Dominican Republic. I would be flying exclusively for pleasure, and what i'm looking to do mostly is earn cheaper/free flights with my current spending. I'd mostly use the card for groceries, gas, and bills.

My credit score is good, but I'd prefer getting a card with no annual fee, simply because I never keep any debt and I don't like paying to borrow money.

Please recommend me a credit card, or point me to a few useful threads!

Thanks!

8MiHi and TravelBear like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take it that you live in Canada ... if so I have no advice for you as the bank and offers up there are a bit different from the USA.

I'm sure someone who is from the Great North will chime in though.

GL & welcome

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK Westjet doesn't have a developed FF program, but they do have a very loose partnership with DL, which is notorious for not having good award ticket availability for low miles.

I suspect your best choice is likely to be an AC/Aeroplan affiliated credit card. You might start by checking their website for FF program details and information on credit cards. However, do not immediately apply for a credit card there. You should actively look for good offers that fit your spending patterns.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the crux of the miles and points game regardless of how many cards you keep at any given time. Some cards provide annual benefits that actually make it worth paying the annual fee to some of us. I can't offer any advice on Canadian cards but it sounds like you will be cautious and responsible!
    Welcome to MP!

5. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    hai am new to the forum can some one tell where can i get the tickets at less cost

6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello and welcome! The short answer is there is no ONE place to get "the tickets at less cost". This is about research and mostly about earning miles and using them.

7. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jett Rink's suggestion would be to follow this blogger. Patrick Sojka is a member of milepoint, and is also a member of Jett Rink's Good Buddy Club. See here.

8. Candy C

Candy C Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. i am not a US or Canadian citizen but 1 place you may want to consider looking is the Chase cards via Marriott - their scheme is not quite as generous as for US citizens but even so, you get 30,000 points after your first purchase, enough for up to 4 nights in one of their hotels, first year fee waived, automatic Silver status etc. In the absence of anything else, its worth a look, albeit, I suspect, not really what you had in mind.

I was looking for a CC deal for Hong Kong residents, however they seem to be as popular as hens teeth!

Good luck