Newbie Here - Which Cards Should I have?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by milesw, Jul 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milesw

milesw Active Member

Status Points:
    Currently I have the following cards:
    • Capital One VentureOne Card (signed up before I heard about Chase Sapphire)
    • Capital One Platinum (once paid off at end of month it's getting cancelled)
    I have a few other cards, like one from my credit union I've not used in years.
    I want to have a card(s) that get me something travel related every year, I got the signup bonus of 10k on the CapitalOne (which equates to??? $100 worth of travel I assume?), and I want to get the most out of it, free flight from Michigan to Florida once a year, over night stays with finance in hotel on weekends, things like that.

The thing is, I am not a HUGE traveler, maybe 3 times per year, but I love the idea of having a card that is working for me, and using it for all my spending and paying off at end of month. The only airline that services me in MI is Delta, or else I have to drive 5 hours to Detroit to get anything else (which on some longer ones out west, etc, makes sense).

So I thought a bit about it and I was wondering, what card would benefit me the most? Should I cancel the VentureOne once it's paid off and get a Chase Sapphire if I can get in that program? What about the Delta card with free 35,000 points for a signup? Is that worth it? I guess I just don't know what point amounts actually get you free RTs..

Also, last I looked I have excellent credit!

Thanks so much, I am loving learning form you all!

2. milesw

milesw Active Member

Status Points:
    After a bit more thinking...

Can you have more than one card from Chase?

There hotel rewards cards look interesting to me (with the free night per year + points) as well as their Disney (as that is where I am getting married next year) cards. Could I carry a Chase Sapphire, Disney cards and Amex hotel card? My thing is I DO use the cards, but I pay off every time and most of my expenses (rent, car, etc) don't take CC. Just another followup question/searching for advice, I'd want no more than 4 cards I think in all, just as I get overburdened w/ mail!

So my thought would be:

• Hold on to VentureOne Card until I can redeem the 10,000 miles
    • Apply for Amex Hilton Card, Chase Sapphire, ???
    • Seems the Disney card isn't super good, probably worth more trying for a free flight there, rather than discounts while there.
    Looking forward to your help

3. flydonkey

flydonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm fairly new to this myself and have made some missteps along the way with respect to credit card applications, so take this advice with a grain of salt and read, read, read..

You already have a very specific goal in mind (Orlando, Disney, next year), which is a great first step.

If you're locked into Delta, try to get a sense of the ease & value of redemption of Skymiles for your likely routes. If very cheap flights are frequently available from your home airport to your goal domestic destination, redeeming miles may not be the best value. For example, there is a DTW-MCO RT fare of $211 on Delta or $147 on Spirit in the next two weeks.

If you can get cheap flights to MCO, then it might be best to focus on hotel points for free stays. Ultimate rewards points from the Chase Sapphire or Ink are flexible as they can transfer to Marriott/Ritz, Priority Club, and Hyatt. Each of these programs also has their "own" Chase card. There are both Citi & Amex Hilton HHonors cards, but check the Hilton forum to get a sense of ease of redemption & value of those points first. I suggest identifying a couple of hotels around the Disney area and doing dummy bookings or checking redemption charts to see how many points you will need to fulfill your goal, before you decide on the hotel program you will go with.

Hope this is helpful.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are ways to pay rent and get points. Millionmilesecrets.com has a nice list of ways to possibly build points. If you don't want to get too deep into the points game if I am correct the AE DL gold only gives you 30k at start up, but the AE DL plat gives you 30k PLUS, you get an additional 10k miles for every $25k you spend on the card up to $50k <so a possible 20k extra in points>. The platinum also offers some perks over the gold.

Since starting this myself around May/June my Delta points have gone from 13k to 58k. That was with one flight, one nice "complaint" and the AE DL plat card. I don't feel comfortable doing app-o-ramas...yet. Your goal seems to be redeemable miles versus qualifying miles so it should be much easier for you to gain the miles.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. do you have the Venture (w/Fee 2% return) or VentureOne (no fee 1.25% Return) ? If its the V1 keep it. Might as well keep your $100 credit for something ...
    2. Since you say Delta is your friend (closest in terms of airport) I would try to stick with that. Delta Gold seems to be the highest Signup bonus.
    3. Also Might wanna look into the SPG card; 20k SPG = 25k Delta Points. Or you can just stick with SPG and use the points to stay at Sheratons/Westins/etc etc. (If you want this card and are willing lemme know so I can earn a referal); [FYI SPG also has a Bus Card so you can get both Personal/Business at the same time]
    4. Since both Delta/SPG are AMEX; you might want to look into other issuers for hotel redemption. Hilton from Citi; if you do both cards (check millionmilesecret) you should be able to get 90k - 100k. Both of which are no annual fee. If you decide you only want one for sake of simplicity that will get you 40k - 50k HHonor pts.
    5. Get the Virgin Atlantic or Hawaiin Airlines Card from BofA. That will net you 70k - 100k in HHonor points, which when combinded with the citi card(s) you can stay at some pretty nice properties using the GLON/VIP awards.
    6. Chase ... If I were you I would try to look to see what hotel are in the area (Hyatt vs Marriott) and sign up for that. With the signup bonus you'll get a couple free nights & each year you get another night free. Or get the Sapphire; but getting all these great cards comes with some hefty spend req that I would try to avoid (not to mention another annual fee)

Hope that helps.

6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are captive to Delta, then a Delta card probably makes sense. An American Express card that earns Membership Reward points (like the Premier Rewards Gold Card) might also be a good choice as those points can transfer 1:1 to Delta and other partners. They also periodically have run transfer bonuses so that instead of the points transferring 1:1, they transfer at even more favorable rations to Delta.

The strength of the Disney card is some perks it gets you at the parks. It really isn't a very strong card to get for spending or a sign-up bonus for most people. The Chase Sapphire Preferred or the American Express Starwood card are good for everyday spending. The Chase Freedom is a good card to pair with the Sapphire Preferred as well for it's 5x categories. (Google "Chase Trifecta" for details on that relationship). At Disney you can use SPG Amex bonus points for a room at the Swan or Dolphin on property as they are SPG hotels.

You can have more than one Chase card. I currently have four personal Chase cards. Others have more than that. I would not apply for more than two Chase cards at one time, and even then you will have to talk to reconsideration to get one approved. Not as bad as it sounds though.

Hope that gives you a few tips to get started with!

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hard to beat the Sapphire Preferred. There are a few cards that have higher bonuses in certain areas, but in terms of ease of earning (all restaurants and travel, however you book it, earns 2.14 points per dollar or more), flexible use (conversion to multiple partner programs or just redeem for regular paid tickets), and good customer service, it's a good foundation. If you find yourself traveling more, or if you determine that Sapphire can't meet all your needs, then you can expand on that foundation with other cards like the SPG AmEx or other members of the Chase Trifecta. I don't recommend anyone new to the points/cards game start churning right away.

And Mommy Points is right. You can have more than one Chase card. I have five personal and one business. I pay the fees on all of them because the benefits are worth it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth it for everyone.

8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would concentrate on what you want to do with the miles. I am working mostly on hotel points so I recently got the Chase Priority Club 80,0000 bonus through an old sign up link that is still good and two 40,000 Citibank Hilton visas through a two browser trick. It also sounds like a Delta Amex might be best for you. I got one to add to the points I received through the Suntrust deal. Also look at what you can spend monthly on a card to hit the minimum spend to receive your points. I am very conservative about making sure I can reach the spend requirements without doing some of the more creative things some have done to make their requirements.