Newbie here needs mile run suggestions on DL out of ATL

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by aarongwargo, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aarongwargo

aarongwargo Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to get back to Platinum status with Delta and it looks like I will be about 9000 miles short. Any suggestions for a well priced run on Delta out of Atlanta?
    Thanks for the help on my first thread.

misman likes this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to add some parameters such as can it be international? I should think it wouldn't be difficult to come up with a cross country out of ATL. I just did a leisure trip that netted me just over 6k miles that had me going in/out of ATL a few times.

3. npupik

npupik Active Member

Status Points:
    there may be better ways out there to do it, but I took a look at the route map on Delta.com
    http://delta.innosked.com/

plug in departure city; select direct one ways, get yourself a list of destinations that meet your goal distance. if you can do international i think you have many more options but HNL would get you there if you need to stay domestic. From there plug things into ITA and search away.

hope this helps!

4. zornoff

zornoff Active Member

Status Points:
    The Delta Reserve card would be the easiest way to net 10K MQM's unless you already have it.

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. What about the GSP-SFO run mentioned at http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/dl-gsp-sfo.50079/? A couple of those would get you what you need.

6. aarongwargo

aarongwargo Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Sorry, forgot I pointed these messages to an alternate email address. I can do international. Checking out the GSP-SFO now. Thanks. I just did ATL-HNL for vacation but flight was $850, trying to be lower than that.

7. aarongwargo

aarongwargo Member

Status Points:
    Already have the card. Should get my 10k bump fro the spending limit and then need about 8k more

8. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you referring to 10,000 MQMs for hitting a minimum spend? You also get 15,000 MQMs each for hitting $30,000 and $60,000 in regular spending.

9. zornoff

zornoff Active Member

Status Points:
    WilliamJLP is correct; the bump for meeting the minimum spend is 15K MQM's, not 10K; I got mine a couple of months ago. You could also get the Business Reserve unless you have that already too. I'm saving that to jump-start my next year's MQM's.

10. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    $995=10,000 MQMs, and be done with it. :)

11. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    aarongwargo likes this.
  12. aarongwargo

aarongwargo Member

Status Points:
    exactly.

13. aarongwargo

aarongwargo Member

Status Points:
    Last year with my card it was a bonus of 10k MQM for $25k of spend on my platinum delta amex. I am not sure if that has changed to 15k MQM for $30k in spend

14. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, the Platinum does give you 10,000 MQMs for $25,000 in spend, and another 10,000 MQMs for an additional $25,000, along with various targeted and regular sign up bonuses. Zornoff and I have been referring to the Reserve card, which has higher rewards and spends: 15,000 MQMs for $30,000 spend, lather, rinse, repeat. If you don't already have the Reserve, you can get one in addition to your Platinum, and/or upgrade your Platinum, and/or get a personal and/or business Reserve in addition to whatever you already have, assuming your credit history pleases American Express.

Jett Rink's suggestion makes a lot of sense if you don't have the time. I didn't last year and bought a few, but I'd rather fly somewhere if my schedule allows.