Newbie here, I need some help please!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Memot, Aug 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Memot

Memot New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I just recently started miles points and hopefully I'll be able to use it next year for my trip to Philippines. I just signed up for Barclaycard on 08/08/13 and got approved, right now I have 43k miles.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I apply for a different credit card like British Airways credit card anytime or should I wait 2-3 months before I sign up.
    2. Can I apply multiple credit cards in one day?
    3. If I get approved from British airways, can I combine the miles with my barclay? My flight will be from San Francisco to Cebu Philippines so Airlines will be cathay or philippines airlines.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you:)

2. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically, you can apply to another card company at any time. If you haven't had a bunch of cards already, then I'd say it's probably fine to apply for the BA card now. However, it's typical that most people do applications every 90 days.
    Absolutely! If you have a solid credit score (720+), then most people will apply for 1 card from each bank every 90 days. I've applied for 7 cards in one day before and got 6 of those approved!
    I don't believe combining is possible. Barclay points are only redeemable via Barclay, and BA miles are their own entity.

3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not much help in the credit card arena, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Welcome to MP! :)

4. Memot

Memot New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the reply. If I can't combine my miles with the other credit cards that I'm going to apply, how will I get more points faster aside from purchasing using my barclaycard? How will the miles work if I have different credit cards? Can I use all the miles from different cards in one ticket? I'm sorry I'm very new to this and I find it very confusing. Do you have any suggestions what credit cards to apply? My credit score is above 720.

5. ahmhyd

ahmhyd Active Member

Status Points:
    Welcome

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is where things start to unravel. One churn does not produce enough points/miles to cover a trip, so one does another churn but the points/miles from the second churn cannot be combined with those from the first churn...and so on...

Unless you intend to do a lot traveling going forward, I think that you might be better off just using cash to pay for this trip, which may come out to be about the same as what the minimum spend requirement might be. The best way to play the mile/point game is to "invest" a year or so to reach the highest elite status that one can and then to rely on associated elite bonuses, co-branded CCs and more to earn the bulk of one's miles/points, and do targeted churns to supplement that steadier and bigger source of points/miles.

Traveling Momma, mo26 and particlemn like this.
  7. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP,
    what Barclays card did you get? the US air card or the arrival card? the arrival card will give you back $430 on any ticket you purchase suing the card and then redeeming your arrival points as a credit, so if you find a flight on any airling and round trip cost is $900 you can apply the arrival points for a credit of 430 and thus only pay 470 for the flight.
    before i would go around applying for a bunch of cards, i would spend a lot of time researching what you will get for the cards and how you can use the newly gotten miles to take trips you want. if you first get a bunch of cards and then figure out how to use them its like buying a stock becasue you read one article that said its great and then looking to see if the company is profitable or will ever be profitable. ( ro another way to put it is to learn to swim in the shallow end prior to jumping into the deep end)
    Ihad been collecting and using delta miles for about 7 years and learned alot of ways to earn delta miles by constantly reading the delta.com website under ways to earn miles, then about 3 years ago i discovered a few blogs and sites like this, before i jumped onto applying for a bunch of credit cards i spend about 3 months looking these sites and blogs to "learn" about these programs only then did i jusmp in with many applicatioons. a little knowledge is very dangerious, a lot of knowledge is very powerful.
    the miles collection and redemption is a littel difficult, but if you are willing to put the time in and learn(ie take it slowly) it can be very rewarding. the difficulty keeps most people from doing it ther4efore it allows some of us to have great rewards.

8. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Find an airline that flies where you want to go. Learn about the airline alliances as well. If you're looking at British Airways (you can also book American Airlines through them, as well as other One World partners), then look at the Chase British Airways card, but you can also look at Amex Premier Rewards Gold and the Chase CSP. Amex Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards are fantastic because they are transferable to other programs. Find programs that over lap and that is the best way to accumulate a lot of points. Same idea for hotels as well.

If you're not going to do a ton of traveling (especially in Business/First) then you might be best just putting all your spend on Barclay's Arrival. As simple cash back can be pretty effective.

9. Memot

Memot New Member

Status Points:
    Hi particlem, thank u so much for the advice. I have barclay arrival. It is true little knowledge can be dangerous. This is my first time collecting miles. Honestly, I don't have plans yet travelling to europe or other states. I'm focused more in my trip to Philippines next year. It's been more than 5 yrs havent visited my family there. I tried searching on how to collect miles and I always see people collecting different credit cards. I thought you can combine all your miles from different credit cards. Barclay has ways to boost miles faster. But I dont think my I will reach 100k miles before May 2014. That's why I was wondering maybe if I apply for another credit card (not barclay). Then I'm good. I thought I can combine the miles from different card.

10. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    barclay miles are not airline miles they instead represent a $0.01 per mile value toward any travel, so if you are looking to get 100k barclays miles you are trying to get $1,000.00 in travel reimbursment. that should get you pretty close to a round trip ticket to the Philippines if you can find a cheep coach ticket. If you are trying to collect 100k arrival miles for a bussiness class ticket it will not work, they work like cash not like regular airline miles, there are many benefits to the arrival especially when looking for cheaper coach travel.
    second is may 2014 when you will book the ticket or when you will travel? you need the "miles" prior to booking the travel not prior to taking the trip.

11. Memot

Memot New Member

Status Points:
    May 2014 is our travel date. So, I'll probably book it around march or april. I'm hoping I will reach 100k miles by march:( the ticket price ti philippines is around $1, 000-$1400 (coach).

12. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    the good news is you dont need to use arrival miles to pay for 100% of the ticket, so you now have 43k, lets say you charge 1500 per month unitl March, thats 7 months then you will have an additional 21k or a total of 54k miles,
    you can buy yout ticket with the arrival card and then apply those miles tothe purchase price so if the ticket came out to 1200 you could apply the 54k miles( as long as you charge the ticket on the arrival card) and it would rediuce the cost of the ticket 1200-540=660. so you would get a ticket RT for 660. that is a prett good deal especially if you were gogint ot pay cash for the trip anyways.
    I am always hesitant about telling someone to apply for a bunch of credti cards so they can get miles and put together a free trip since i dont know anything aobut the person and their financial situation, these trips can be great but not if they will do harm to you and your finances in the future.
    when a friend asks about the miles cards. I start with one question, have you in the last 4 years ever carried a balance on a credit card? if they asnwer yes i tell them then the game is probably not for them, peopel dont change quickly and if you thought it was okay to carry a balance on a credit card you most likely will again in the future. these rewards cards come with high % rates and can be best played only if you pay off in full every month. even then i will only recommend signing up for many credit cards if they 1) already have a home with an afofrdable mortagage, 2) wil not be purchasing a car in the next 5 years or if so will do so with cash, 3) they are interested in travel and can travel at different times in the year(if someone tell me they want to use points to goto hawaii over christmas break with a family of 5 this is not for them)
    these are not absolute and many people who do not qualify under these rules can make it work but it "COULD" possibly be to their personal detriment.
    if i was looking to take a trip every 3-5 years and would be staying with family( so i did not need a hotel) i would not mess with any of these credit cards. i would get me a cash back credit card like the chase freedom with zero annual fee and use it on purchases i would normanl make, i would use that cash back along with savings to purchase coach tickets.
    many who try this game start spending more to get points and end up farther behind.
    Please understand that many of us on this board would love to help you plan trips and earn miles and many will blindly shout out to everyone when they ask what credit card should i get that you should apply for x,y, and z with the thought that the person reading the suggestion is well aware of the fees, minimum spends, and conditions that go along with them. many also have well established credit with 20+ years of perfect payment history, not all 740 credit shores are the same, some can apply for 6 credit cards at a time others only 2. it depends on the lenght of their credit.
    I tryed to write this not to discourage you but to let you know you are utalizing your financial credit for these "Perks" the banks do not give these perks away for free becasue they are nice, they understand that a large percentage of people will sign up, not know what they signed up for, not use it to its full potential and then make mistakes that the bank can profit off of.
    your arrival card will help you save some money on your planned trip, this is great but if you want to take it further read, read, and read some more on these boards then act, your arrival card comes with an annual fee that will be due next august you need to spend all your miles and cancel prior to august or you will be hit paying $89.
    again please stick around this is a great hobby and can be rewarding, i just hate to offer advice to anyone who might loose more than they gain.

13. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    one more note in my eaxmple of getting additioanl spend on the arrival card, say you are spending 1500 per month, this gives you a benefit of 3,000 miles or $30 dollars in travel, instead of spending 1500 per month if you spent 1470 and saved 30 in cash you would be in the exact same place. you would have 30 to put towad your trip, if any of that 1500 on the credit card cost you extra over cash like some gas stations, or paying a fee to pay your powerbill with the credit card then the savings is lost.

14. Memot

Memot New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you I really appreciate you taking time to give good advice. I totally agree with you. In my situation, I always pay my credit cards in full before it's due. We're currently renting right now. No plans in buying a house yet. 3 cars are all paid off. I'm just trying to keep my credit score above 730. My husband use the card at home depot everyday and that's x2 miles per $1. Mostly he spends $2k-$3k at home depot per month. so hopefully that will raise our miles faster. We dont travel that often. Probably only every 3-4 yrs international trips.

15. I got the same questions like you, pleased to find the answers here

16. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is how I started two years ago. Wife wanted to go home to see her family and it was costing us a fortune to fly back with 4 now 5 people. it has spiraled out of control...we now go a lot more places. :rolleyes:

Based on what you have shared, it seems that your focus on earning miles through credit cards should be a combination of 2% cash back cards and credit cards that can be used on One World flights because you are limited to CX and PR - which is currently not in an alliance.

With that in mind, check out Citibank AA cards, there are threads dedicated to that on FT/TOBB (Flyer Talk), SPG Amex - they can transfer to AA and BA, Chase BA card, and AMEX MR cards. These can earn points/miles that are used either in AAdvantage program or BA's Avios program that can be used to book award seats on Cathay Pacific or in the case of the MR it can be transferred into a BA Avios account and the SPG points can be transferred to AA or BA. And cash card to supplement the times you can't find award space. As you mentioned, you are only traveling every few years, so you could earn enough in cash back to supplement the travel along with a couple of tickets as a reward redemption.

Before you get too excited, I would check the availability of the flights you are looking for on CX for the time frame you are checking for to see if you can even find award space. There are quite a few blogs and places on MP that you can read on how to check for availability - MMS, MileValue, Wandering Aramean, etc... Conventional thought is using BA or QF search engines to search for award space on CX.

and welcome!

17. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Additional point. United flies from SFO to MNL, so UA miles are a good choice too and there are plenty of chase cards for that.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint