Newbie help with Star Allience

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ekilko, Feb 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ekilko

ekilko Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I'm very new to the miles and points business. I am based in the UK and I only hold status with a small European airline but I had a quick question.

I have always been a one world guy because I was based in uk/ie and fly BA a lot. Now I have to take a trip to and around the US and because of who is paying for it I have to fly united. I'll be doing approx 11000 miles. So I figure I have to open a star Alliance account with one airline but don't know which one to do it with. My immediate thought was to do it with BMI as I'm more likely to fly them in the future plus they seam to have a lower threshold to the first status level (16000) from what I could tell. But then they not the biggest airline and are for sale and perhaps there are other options out there.

I would appreciate any advice you would have

Eoin

YULtide likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    BMI is currently Star Alliance, but it remains to be seen if they'll remain so. If they get folded into BA, then it's possible that you could blend your BMI miles with your existing BA Avios -- or not. At the moment, BMI may make the most sense for you.

3. You probably can't go wrong by joining either the United or Continental programs...they are merging this year so it doesn't really matter which. Doesn't cost anything. I've been a 1K flyer on United for years and found it easy enough to earn Star Alliance miles to my United account when flying other Star Alliance partners. I'll be interested in others' reply to you, though. Good luck and have fun with the travel!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knows what will happen to BMI and especially its FF program? I would not credit miles there now unless you are topping off an account for a specific award, which should then be claimed and ticketed ASAP.

The current favorite for *A status for few miles is Aegean, abbreviated A3, which is the subject of threads in the Other European and Star Alliance fora. When you sign up for an account, you get 1000 status and redeemable miles. To earn *Silver requires 3000 more miles and for *Gold, 16000 more or a total of 19,000 plus the initial 1,000, and the *Gold status is apparently good for several years.

Be sure to check the earnings on your UA ticket on the charts on the aegean.com English language website. If you won't earn 100%, then think about crediting to Asiana for somewhat the same reasons.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The odds of the points simply being wiped out are near zero. I wouldn't shy away from it at all based on that. If this is truly a one-time trip and it is unlikely that there will be more *A flying in the near future I'd say joining Diamond Club and getting those points into Avios when the BD/BA merger is consummated is likely the best choice for the OP.

It is great if all you want is *G status. If you want other benefits, like decent credit on discounted fares, not so much.

kiwi likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I was answering primarily from the viewpoint of *A status, which seemed to be the OP's primary concern, although as I reread I'm curious on what small European airline he/she already has status.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't fly *A much yet have a BA account (implied in the opening post), then crediting to BMI is a good option. If it gets folded into Avios then the miles won't be wasted, and if not folded into Avios the small amount of miles are worthwhile in their own right (unlike say 11k United miles which by itself is useless).

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. ekilko

ekilko Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all thanks for the advice. Certainly a bit to think about. I hope this opportunity becomes regular so I can maximise my star a miles but right now I dont know. I'm currently a status member with Aer Lingus which while I can earn some points with United beyond getting lounge access at DUB and LHR is pretty worthless. Hopefully I'll work out a system that works!

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good starting point is to figure out what you want from your new FF account: lounge access, award tickets, etc.?