Newbie - Hello from KUL

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by eric91, Nov 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. eric91

eric91 Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,

This is my first post & I'm happy to be at MilePoint.

I'm based in KUL. I traveled to Japan once & like it so much. I hope to learn some travel hacking focusing on travelling to Japan.

I've watched some courses on travel hacking, however, most of the credit cards & survey offers seemed unavailable in my country. There are some credit card programs here, but the miles & points are much lesser. Some cards require high annual income (up to MYR 180K, I'm 22 and self-employed). If I had such income then I wouldn't bother to hack.

I just received my Enrich Blue membership card. I really hope I could make full use of it.

Look forward to learning more from the community. :)

Best,
    Eric

uggboy, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome, Eric!

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Eric !

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! :)

uggboy likes this.
  5. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the Milepoint forum! :)

uggboy likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One airline from there is offering discounted tickets,

Welcome Eric

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheers and welcome to MP! @eric91

8. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being based in KUL, there are sometimes very good deals to be had. Malaysia Airlines had (or still have) very good deals, especially from BKK but from other places as well. I'm at ICN and I could have had a round trip ticket in business class to CGD for about $1700US. Sadly, I had just came back from Europe less than 2 weeks ago and have no free time left until the end of the year.

Air Asia also had (or maybe still has) a very good sale for flight "next year", as in from June onwards. I have never flown on Air Asia, but a one way ticket between ICN and KUL was about $120US when I checked. You being interested in going to Japan, you should take a look because I believe they had good deal to Japan as well.

If you could get some Aeroplan miles and go to SIN, which is relatively close to you, SIN to anywhere in North Asia is just 20K miles for round trip awards in economy or 30K in business.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  9. eric91

eric91 Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi @cc1972 , I used to fly with MAS to Japan. They have very good service, two meals were included during the midnight flight.

I flew with AirAsia a few times to local destinations and SIN. AirAsia has great deals throughout the year, they run out pretty fast and the promotions are only for base fare, so when the airport taxes etc. add up, they become less attractive. I've been looking at tickets to Japan, they usually cost around US$250-300, sometimes $600. Compared to other airlines, they are cheap, but I still have to pay for it. Their loyalty program, BIG, the points are ridiculously hard to collect. For long haul trip, the required BIG points take a century to accumulate. I have 25K BIG points which I got from a credit card sign up. It's only enough to go to SE Asia.

AirAsia heavily promotes trips to Korea, that's why the fares are relatively low.

Thanks for pointing out Aeroplan. I'm also looking at ANA, they had a US$400 from KUL to NRT deal. Trying to figure out their loyalty program & Star Alliance's as well. :)

uggboy likes this.
  10. CrazyKyle

CrazyKyle New Member

Status Points:
    Welcome

uggboy likes this.