Newbie Guide: How do I use this forum?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by krusty, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. krusty
    Original Member

krusty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hat tip to member Canarsie, who is collecting Tips here:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...to-enhance-your-milepoint-com-experience.701/

This waypoint will summarize the Beginner Tips. Please consult the above for Advanced Tips.

How do I set my Avatar?
    • Find your name in the uppermost right area. Hovering over your name will expand a menu of options. Click "Avatar" to initiate a review or change.
    • Another way is from Personal Details. Click on the Avatar box to initiate a change.
    How do I Subscribe to a thread?
    • Rather than posting-merely-to-subscribe or looking for Thread Tools as you have seen elsewhere, just use the "Watch Thread" link. It's located above and to the right of the first post, on any page in the thread.
    • To review your watched threads, find your name in uppermost right area. Hovering over your name will expand a menu of options. One is Watched Threads.
    • Depending on your Alert Preferences, you may see a red flag in the uppermost right area, above "Alerts" when there is an update to your watched thread(s).
    How do I Like (show Thanks for) a post?
    • At the bottom right corner of every post, there is a "Like" link. It's next to the "Reply" link.
    How do I PM (send a private message)?
    • PMs are called "Conversations" here. You can start one by clicking a member's name, and looking for "Start a Conversation" in the pop-up. If you don't see that option, then that member has augmented his/her Privacy settings.
    • You can also Start a Conversation with this link.
    • Depending on your Alert Preferences, you may see a red flag in the uppermost right area, above "Inbox" when you have a new Conversation.
    How do I Add (embed) an Image to my Post (or Signature)?
    • There are two ways: 1) Upload a File and 2) Insert/Edit Image.
    • If the Image is on your computer, the first way is easier. Note: the first way won't work in a Signature.
    • If the Image is on the Web, the second way is easier.
    • Option#1 - Upload a File
      • One of the buttons below where you type the body of your post is "Upload a File". Clicking that opens a directory box for you to find the file -- in this case an image -- you wish to add.
      • Once your Image finishes uploading, you have a "Thumbnail" and "Full Image" button, from which to choose. Clicking either will do the job.
    • Option#2 - Insert/Edit Image
      • Find the Image on the web, and copy its URL. This could be a picture from your web album, a banner from a webpage, etc. It must be a fully qualified URL that ends in ends in a known image file type (e.g. *.jpg).
      • Mark the location in the body of your post where you want to embed your image. I.e., get your cursor in the right spot before doing the next step.
      • One of the buttons above where you type the body of your post is "Insert/Edit Image". Clicking that provides a box for you to paste that URL you copied above. Hitting the Insert button does the job.
    • It's worth noting that you can better control your own content by using Option#2, after uploading your images to a public photo site that you govern (e.g. flickr, imageshack, snapfish, etc.).
    How do I Quote another Post (even from another Thread)?
    • Find the post you want to quote. If that post is in another thread, open that thread on another browser tab or window; that makes things easier.
    • In the bottom right corner of that post, find the "Reply" link. Click that. You'll now find yourself in the posting box.
    • Copy the populated text. It begins with "[quote..." and ends with ".../quote]".
    • If what you copied is in another thread, go back to your target thread (on the other tab/window). Place your cursor where you want the quote to appear in your new post. Paste the copied text.
    • Note1: You can do multiple quotes with the technique above. It may help to open a basic text editor (e.g. Notepad) to gather all the quotes first, however.
    • Note2: There is a Quote button above where you type a reply. Unless you understand how to manually add the 'quote=[username], post: [postid]', this way is less effective, because the result won't have that up-arrow link-back in the final result.
    In general: hover your mouse all over the place -- before you click. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you find.

More to come.

2. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for a nice summary. I was wondering what conversations were, I thought it was a version of IM.

KIXman and krusty like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely, and not just bits of the page that look like links.

Paolo Scuri and k2o like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the brief introduction.

pooh21too likes this.
  5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Ajax stuff really makes browsing and posting a breeze!

6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the intro.
    Would you or anyone happen to know how, if possible, one can subscribe to an entire sub-forum?

I can't seem to find an option for that.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that is switched on (yet).

8. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    In line with the question above, is there a way to Mark Read a sub-forum individually rather than all forums?

9. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do I insert a picture in my signature (like SirRagnar upthread) or anywhere for that matter?

[​IMG]
    Whenever I used the Insert/Edit button I get the broken link thing. Tried to insert one just above this line.

10. krusty
    Original Member

krusty Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only places I see to Mark Read is wherever there are actual threads. For example, where this tree branch ends...
    http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/air-canada-aeroplan.53/
    ... the "Mark this forum read" link appears above the column headers, to the right.

kiwi likes this.
  11. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Go to your Signature page http://milepoint.com/forums/account/signature
    2. Click the icon with the image of a tree (insert/edit image)
    3. Insert the url to where your picture is located
    4. Click insert and save
    5. Voila, you have a picture as signature.

The same procedure can be followed in the forum (from point 2 and onwards)

The picture must be located on the internet somewhere and cannot be uploaded. Use imageshack or similar.

12. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright, thanks. I will suggest that.

13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    When using the insert / edit image make sure your link to the image is fully qualified including the http://

14. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does not work for me. Tried putting the image on different sites, using full link, and in one case tried various BBS and Forum styles. No image. But thanks for trying to help.

15. krusty
    Original Member

krusty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello fellow dog-vatar user!

SirRagnar answered you for the most part.

I will update the top post with the more basic question: How do I embed a picture?

16. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm sure there will be a lot of people wanting to know.

17. Thanks for the summary - I hope to use this well.

pooh21too and Freddie Listo like this.
  18. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gee - I feel like such a newbie again! :)

Thanks for the How-To guide!

pooh21too, Bonnie and Gargoyle like this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the How-To guide.
    I really like this new Ajax set up.

20. How would one go about quoting one thread within another thread?

21. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Click on reply on the post you will want to copy the quote from. Then the quote appears like you can see I quoted you.
    Instead of posting in the original thread you can copy the entire line starting from "[quote=" and paste it into the other thread where you want it to appear.

22. Got it! That's easy enough... thanks

23. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a multi-quote function?

24. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Just click on reply for each post you want to quote. Note at the moment this only works for posts on the same page, at least without some manual effort (copying before switching pages and pasting afterwards).

ben regelshore and krusty like this.
  25. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I am still exploring the forum and have posted this in the Beta section as well. Did not intend to cross post the same question. [​IMG] Hoping for a better multi-quote function as I am lazy and dislike having to c/p stuff between pages. Will give it a try at some point. Thanks, again. :)

ben regelshore and Chimpy like this.