Newbie from Upstate New York

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Zorrbabe, Jan 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone! I have just recently got into frequent flyer programs. I am a member of mileage plus. I frequently fly from Syracuse or Binghamton ny to San Diego. I am looking for the best programs to join if it is beneficial to join more than one or keep mileage plus. I haven't been too impressed with United treatment of customers on my last few flights. I have looked at other airlines and it seems like they have better planes and better service but maybe the grass isnt always greener on the other side. I have 12,000 miles a bit low I know And I do surveys to make more miles. I am looking for the best program that I can fly back-and-forth across the country from these destinations And I am looking at new programs because March 1 changes to mileage awarded based on how much you pay per ticket ! I am outraged so I'm looking for other options. I fly maybe for five times a year. So I know this is exactly the question but kind is it's more of an introduction lol. Help me out in deciding if you have the time ! Thank you ! Happy flying

daninstl, uggboy, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! You should join all of the programs that you might potentially use in the future -- it doesn't cost anything. I'm familiar with your part of upstate NY, and recall that US Airways was a major provider there. I suggest that you join their Divident Miles program right away. Because this program is slated to merge with the American's AAdvantage in a few months, you might still be able to get their affinity credit card with 50,000 miles signup bonus. You should join AAdvantage separately as well. They have an affinity credit card with a very similar generous bonus. That should get you started on your loyalty benefits much quicker than by flying alone.

daninstl, Zorrbabe and uggboy like this.
  3. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

Delta has made great inroads in upstate NY. I wouldn't discount them as a provider. There are connecting flights from SYR through ATL, DTW, JFK, LGA, and MSP though a few of those can also have a third segment. Having that many options is great for avoiding weather. Depending on your distance, don't forget ROC as an available starting point.

daninstl, viguera, Zorrbabe and 2 others like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint and as others have pointed out here you have quite some options in upstate NY. :)

Personally I think that Delta would be a more reliable choice out of ITH/BGM/SYR and other airports in that area of New York.

5. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Member

Status Points:
    Oh wow you guys really knowledgeable LOL! I'm impressed thank you all for the information and warm welcomes

daninstl likes this.
  6. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Member

Status Points:
    It's crazy but opinion miles club has given me a lot of miles for surveys this week I was surprised that I've made 1330 in a few days lol. I didn't get as many rejections are reroutes as one would think either.

daninstl likes this.
  7. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at DL schedules, ROC and SYR fly to ATL, DTW, JFK, LGA, and MSP. ITH and BGM only fly to DTW.

Personally, I would fly DL. More options as well as fewer cancellations than others.

The ATL flights are mainline and rarely get cancelled. I have only had one in 18 years and that was a mechanical issue.

Just more for you to consider.:D

Zorrbabe, daninstl and viguera like this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing you really have to look at now is what kind of miles you accrue on the fares you purchase. On UA, once you fly 50,000 miles a year, you will accrue 8 miles per dollar spent. On AA, for comparison, you'll get the flight miles plus 100% bonus miles at the same level. If you're buying a $300 leisure ticket, that's 2,400 miles on UA and 10,000 miles on AA for a cross country trip. If you're buying a $2,000 business class ticket, you'll bring in 16,000 miles on UA while still 10,000 miles on AA based on distance.

Now, if you're only going to fly 25,000 miles a year, UA will give you 7 miles a dollar, so slightly less miles than someone that flies 50,000 miles.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Zorrbabe, daninstl and MX like this.
  9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget ALB --- it can be cost effective because Southwest goes there.

DTWBOB

Zorrbabe and daninstl like this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. Lot's of good advice here. You'll find that you can gain a lot of miles in places other than from flying or "butt in seat" miles. Many get credit cards to supplement these earnings but only go there if you manage your finances well. Hotel programs will allow you to earn air miles instead of the hotel points many times. Surveys can be good. E-miles and E-rewards are good. I use Bing searches to earn a few miles (about 200 a month). If you don't already use Bing rewards please use my referral link here. Also doing most of your shopping online through the airline portals is a good way to generate some miles. Even if your shopping in the store you can order online through the portal and do in-store pickup. They also sometimes run bonuses as well. My favorite site for checking this is http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/ but there are others. Boardingarea.com is also a good place to keep track of current deals. United just launched a new app called Mileageplus X for smart phones to earn when shopping. Jury is still out on that one. I recently started blogging about a few odds and ends at http://www.cliqbait.com also.

Zorrbabe and jackplum like this.
  11. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Member

Status Points:
    Oh I signed up for Bing just yesterday:/ would love to help out anyone I can by being a referal in what I do not have already . I signed up for a few things this week. I plan to do some shopping through the airline portals. I will check your blog out now :)

daninstl likes this.
  12. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Member

Status Points:
    United loves to cancel LOL

daninstl likes this.
  13. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I mostly looking for a program because United airlines I hear is changing how you get miles to how much you pay per ticket Which to me negates the whole purpose of the mileage program Out if you fly it you should get credit LOL.

daninstl likes this.
  14. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Member

Status Points:
    So I download the app on your website The mileage plus one, I will be checking that out now

daninstl likes this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has the biggest blizzard hit New York yet,

16. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but not the part of NY we're talking about here. BGM, SYR, ITH are operating normally. ALB is affected though.

Don't even think about getting to JFK/LGA/EWR/HPN today. Not sure about SWF but very probably affected too.

Newscience likes this.