Newbie (first time LH traveler) questions! -- ORD-MUC-NRT -- any help much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by SFO415, Oct 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFO415

SFO415 Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone! I am completely new to MP, so I'm still trying to figure my way out here. I'm going to be traveling:

ORD-MUC (F)
    [2.5 hour layover in MUC]
    MUC-NRT (F)

I was wondering if you could help me out with some questions about lounge access at MUC. I'm hoping to be able to access the First Class Lounge (I've been reading some other threads, is this abbreviated FCL?) -- Do you think a 2.5 hour layover would be enough time for me to enough a meal/drink and shower + be able to explore the LH FCL? Do I need to book a shower through an agent?

What is the difference between a FCL and a FCT? Also, in addition to LH's FCL, can I access other airlines' lounges with my current boarding pass on F from MUC-NRT?

One last question, I've been Googling trip reports/pictures/videos of ORD-MUC & MUC-NRT on F and have only been able to find a couple on FT and none on Youtube. Could anyone direct me to a trip report so I'd have an idea of what I just got myself into (this is also my first ever travel reward redemption using CO miles). Many thanks for any information and help!

2. frubio2012

frubio2012 Silver Member

Status Points:
    First off, welcome to MilePoint. :)

The difference between the FCL and the FCT is that the FCT is a separate building at FRA only. It's exclusive to F and HON passengers. Since you are traveling ORD-MUC-NRT, you will not be able to use FCT since MUC does not have one.

I also recommend on going here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/the-unoffical-lh-first-class-fct-thread-no-question-is-dumb.524/

You can ask your questions that relate to LH F and FCL/FCT.

And to answer your access to other lounges. I recommend on going here: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/At-the-airport-overview , select First Class and the cities you are inquiring about.

3. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have already answered your questions in another place, so I hope you don't mind if I don't repeat the answers here. ;)

frubio2012 likes this.
  4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP SFO415

lwkatya likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you link to the mp thread where you provided the information please?

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]

6. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it wasn't MP but another forum, where someone posted almost identical questions.

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    So posting the information would not be of use to milePointers?

8. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    frubio2012 answered some of the questions already. Here are my answers to almost identical questions.

I can also add that showers cannot be booked in advance. You just go to the receptionist once you are in the lounge and as there are several showers/baths you probably don't need to wait especially when you arrive late morning.

You will have access to the Senator Lounge and Business Lounge on Level H, and by going through passport control Senator and Business Lounges and Senator Cafe on Level G, but since the First Class Lounge is so much nicer there's no point in visiting other lounges.

9. SFO415

SFO415 Member

Status Points:
    Is the Senator Lounge considered a Business class-level lounge?

10. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    First Class Lounge : for LH/LX First Class passengers, HON Circle members
    Senator Lounge : for Star Alliance Gold members, Star Alliance (not LH/LX) First Class passengers
    Business Lounge : for M&M Silver members, Star Alliance Business Class passengers

The Business Lounge is for Business Class passengers unless they hold *G status and can use the Senator Lounge.

11. SFO415

SFO415 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification! Could I still use the Business Lounge (just to take a peek inside as I will be flying MUC-VCE in Business class next March) holding a F ticket?

Also, in your opinion, what's the biggest difference in terms of the seats on the A340-600 vs. A340-300?

12. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course you can. LH First Class passengers can enter any LH lounge, but the one you will use when flying MUC-VCE will be the Schengen Business Lounge on Level G. You will have to go through passport control and enter Germany/Schengen to visit this lounge.
    No difference, unless the a/c has new First Class seats. Only two A340-600s and one A340-300 have new F seats so far.

SFO415 likes this.
  13. SFO415

SFO415 Member

Status Points:
    One last question! If I am flying LH F, which lounges can I visit in ORD??

14. frubio2012

frubio2012 Silver Member

Status Points:
    United International First Class Lounge, United Club.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest the United Club near B17 as that is where LH departs from. The UA IFL in C is not worth the walk IMHO. Arrive T-90 departure at ORD, spend a few minutes in the UA club, and save the lounge experience for MUC where it is worthwhile.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  16. SFO415

SFO415 Member

Status Points:
    Turns out that I'm going to have to check one luggage in. I've never had stopovers before, so here's a very noob question.

Upon arrival to MUC from Chicago, will I have to go to the luggage belt to pick up my checked bag and re-check it in for the MUC-NRT flight?

17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will check your luggage straight through to NRT. No need to worry about it. Upon deplaning, just go straight to the lounge and enjoy.

lwkatya likes this.
  18. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree, skip the ifcl

19. SFO415

SFO415 Member

Status Points:
    How come?