Newbie:first point trip israel to nj with stopovers anywhere in world

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by kabrams1618, Mar 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kabrams1618

kabrams1618 Member

Status Points:
    This is my first time on mile point and new to points. I have recently collected points on united 55k us air 40k marriott 72k and free cat.4 room, sapphire 60 k hyatt 2 free nights and arrival 44k. We need to travel from israel to philly in July dates flexible for a months stay but would like to travel before hand anywhere in world with 13 year old daughter who likes to hike and see new cities who has not visited anywhere else in world or us. We would like to use the points and rooms for best usAge but are getting stuck just starting. There are some cheap airlines out of israel so maybe start with that. We are considering London, Hawaii Paris, etc so can really use suggestions. Also some help on best usage of stopovers and open jaws would be appreciated since I really do not understand how to best use them especially with points.

marcwint55 and gregm like this.
  2. kabrams1618

kabrams1618 Member

Status Points:
    Not even one reply?

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a little hard to find a question in your original post. What specifically are you seeking help with?

MSYgirl likes this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

I'm not familiar with what you are asking since I don't use awards (yet), but hopefully some of our experienced gurus will reply soon. Some more details about your destinations, travel dates/month and budget might help.

5. kabrams1618

kabrams1618 Member

Status Points:
    We plan to fly the beginning of July utilizing the points to their fullest as described in the original question. We just do not know how to start the process of maximizing what points we have earned.
    We are really open to any travel locations or combination of locations, we are just looking for recommendations.
    Thanks

MSYgirl likes this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Philly a requirement for the trip, or will any US locations work?

7. kabrams1618

kabrams1618 Member

Status Points:
    As part of the overall trip, a month in philly visiting relatives is most important.
    Our thought is instead of flying right there like we usually do in the summer,, this summer we want to take advantage of the points we have listed in the original post and make several stops at places of interest.

8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind when using Marriott points, for every 4 nights you use points, you get the 5th night free. (My strategy is to book in 4 day increments, so as to always get the 5th (or 10th) night free.)

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do not really have enough airline miles to pay for flights for three of you. If you transfer your sapphire points to United you'd have 115K points in that program. It takes 85K for an economy class round-trip ticket at the saver level Middle East to US Mainland, and assuming you mean this July you might be hard-pressed to find any availability at all.

So I think you have two options:
    • Get a lot more points in a hurry (by signing up for a bunch of credit cards and quickly meeting the minimum spend requirements). If you are eligible for US credit cards (a big if if you are not an American citizen with a US mailing address) then you and your wife could rack up some substantial points on sign-up bonuses alone.
    • Plan to pay for airfare and use your points on hotels. Personally, I feel that using fungible (ie, Sapphire) points on hotels rather than airfare is a lesser usage since accommodations are generally available at a variety of price points while airfare is unavoidable, you may prefer higher-level hotels and even cheap hotels in European cities might be quite expensive in the summer.
    As for where to stop, I imagine most Israel to US routings will take you across the Atlantic, with the possibility of stopping in Europe. Hawaii would be more of a stretch, unless you flew first to the US and from there to Hawaii (one possibility would be to fly to the US on dollars and use your points for a US to Hawaii award ticket -- those are 45K at the saver level on United and the summer might not be high season for Hawaii).

As for a choice between London and Paris I lived in both when I was younger and infinitely preferred Paris, but I have little recent experience.

Hope this helps. I think you'll get better answers if you're able to post more specific questions (eg "Best Israel to Philadelphia redemption", "Best use for Marriott points in Paris").

gregm likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to Milepoint. Unfortunately the miles and points you have are really not a lot for three people to travel with. You can certainly use the free nights, but 72k Marriott will get you 3 nights in category 4 which is a fairly low level hotel. If you move up to a category 7 which should be a nice hotel, you are looking at 2 nights. You really do not have enough miles to use on flights yet for 3 people. I would recommend getting some more credit card bonuses as quickly as possible to increase the accounts. If I remember correctly a trip from the middle east category ( Israel ) to Europe requires approximately 60,000 miles per person round trip on United in coach.

gregm likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who is "we"? You and a 13 year old daughter, two people? You, a spouse/SO and daughter, three people?

55K United (UA), 40K US Airways (US) and 60K Chase Unlimited Rewards (UR) is probably not enough for THREE people to fly overseas TLV-PHL and back (and you would not be on the same flights anyways, US and UA are in different alliances now and you cannot use UA miles to buy US flights, or vice versa). A round-trip coach ticket is generally 60,000 miles Europe-USA... and you are going to be traveling during peak vacation season in the USA, so Europe and Hawaii coach awards for two or three people on the same flight from US markets are going to be hard to come by (and so close in, most coach flight awards have already been claimed, with only 3 months before your trip).

You may have BETTER luck using miles to go to Europe from TLV and buying cash tickets from there... but keep in mind it's vacation time in Europe too (thus awards may be hard to come by).

I think you would be better served with coming up with definite plans and then seeing what you can do to use your hotel points and miles around them. I suspect it will be easier to use the hotel points as opposed to the miles.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    gregm likes this.