Newbie - Finding Award Flights

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ejseidman, Aug 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ejseidman

ejseidman New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this all, which is unfortunate, since the wife and I have taken some pretty exotic trips the last couple of years without earning any miles :-(. I have signed up for the frequent flyer/hotel programs with a whole lot of oneworld, Sky Team and Star Alliance members and we're in the process of getting one travel card w/bonuses each. I've read some great info here about obtaining points, but I'm curious about the process of redeeming the points.

We are traveling this December (finalists are Colombia or United Arab Emirates) and then next summer we're doing Zimbabwe-Botswana-South Africa. We're in the US and typically fly out of JFK, EWR, PHL or IAD. Since we have the goals in mind, is it possible we'll run into a scenario where we can't use points to go towards a flight, even if there ARE flights on our travel days? The whole process is intimidatingly fun and I appreciate all advice!

dgreen12 likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just plan a practice trip, see what is out there

You can even book and upgrade with miles,

With a practice trip you do not even have to leave the ground, you can even watch the required miles and price change...

Prices and miles differ from departure cities, just like in the real world of buying a ticket...

You will find some award travel opens up the last day...even the last few hours, we have booked PVG/IND tickets with in the last 2 hours,

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Flexibility is key if you want to book exotic awards. If you have some wiggle in your schedule you can likely score at least parts of a trip like the one you outline here using your miles.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. ejseidman

ejseidman New Member

Status Points:
    Okay thanks guys!