Newbie Doing US Trial Preferred: Should I go for CP?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by thunderchikin, Oct 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Newbie here: I've never done a mileage run before, but since I signed up for the Trial Preferred for the Grand Slam (and I have a lot of travel scheduled next year, including a couple of trips to Europe), I was thinking of doing a MR to reach Plat or CP. I've done 2k and 4 segments so far. Over the next 60ish days I have the following flights either booked or am about to book them.

1. OAJ > CLT > ORD (booked)
    2. OAJ > CLT > ORD (not booked)
    3. OAJ > CLT > LGA (not booked)

I'll easily make silver. Is it worth it to add some segments to increase my PQMs? Is it worth it to go for Plat or CP? Is the US Airways site the best place to look for adding segments?

Thanks!

rwoman and cennas like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP thunderchikin!

I'm not a US expert so can't help you on your questions, but I'm sure other qualified MP members will help you.

Enjoy your stay here.

lwkatya and catgirl like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    US Airways doesn't offer trial preferred for Chairman's
    http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/promotions/trialpreferred.html

And if you wanted to do a challenge to Platinum you would need to sign up for a Platinum challenge (which is more $$).

Once you make Platinum through a challenge you aren't 'close' to Chairmans Preferred as you would still need to qualify for that through the usual means (eg 100k total miles flown, not just an additional 25k miles).

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    thunderchikin,

Welcome to MP!

:)

cennas likes this.
  5. Ok, I see now. I was under the impression from the other site that if I signed up for silver but exceeded the miles/segments for a higher level, I would get that level through Feb. 2013. Thanks for clarifying.

rwoman likes this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I certainly don't think that's true, but if someone has experience otherwise I'd love to know?

rwoman likes this.
  7. ramolnar
    Original Member

ramolnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless the rules have changed since last year, you CAN get higher levels off a US Airways trial. I signed up for a Silver trial, flew 22,509 miles on US Air, and got Platinum status. If I remember correctly, US Air counts PQM, so the 500 mile minimum applies - a person is Silver during the trial.

If you're thinking about flying Internationally, getting Gold and Star Gold is much better than Silver. Lounge access and better check in are nice. The extra 25% bonus is somewhat good, too. Platinum gives you another 25%, but nothing else big. CP is worth a lot with the upgrades, but 40 segments is quite a bit more. I'd suggest Gold for you.

8. Great! Gold is well within my travel plans if I can add a segment here and there to add miles.

9. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my friends, another MP'er, signed up for the Silver Trial Preferred. She flew enough within the 90 days to qualify for Gold and she is doing one of the BOS-MAD runs next weekend to lock in US Gold status through 2013 versus 2012 since she did the trial in March.

cennas likes this.