Newbie - Booking Award travel

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by tp87, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tp87

tp87 New Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, but I am new at this and wanted to know if I could get some help.

I'm trying to redeem my dividend miles for a flight and wanted to know if the amount of miles needed to redeem award travel is determined by the cost of the ticket or by how full the flight is? Or neither?

I'm trying to get a U.S. Airways round trip ticket from Philadelphia to Las Vegas in October and the amount of miles required are pretty high. If I were to pay cash for the ticket, the price would be $460.00 which is unusually high. If I were to book a ticket to LA (which is further away) the price would be $250.00 and the miles needed to redeem are lower.

I'm wondering if I should hold out and hope for the ticket price to drop and then hope the miles required will drop? Or does it not work that way.

Thank you for any help.

savingrace, misman and YULtide like this.
  2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! US awards are not based on price or how full so the miles needed wont change in my experience. They usually have a few seats per flight at the lowest miles otherwise it's cheaper to fly to Europe for what they want to Vegas! I'm out of Philly too and the Vegas flights are always a tough award ticket to get and the price would only go up in my opinion. My last two Vegas trips were on Southwest (first time flying them over US) saved some money and no baggage fee.
    Looking at the united.com site there are a few standard 25k saver awards on united from Philly connecting Houston, Denver and Newark options And a few direct with stop but no plane change. I'm looking at oct 2nd not sure of your dates. You might also widen the options and take Amtrak to Newark airport as Newark may have direct flights.
    You will need to find your flights and then call US with the flight info telling them you are using United as the partner in Star Alliance. Since you can't book partner online via US they should waive the phone booking fee
    Hope this helps

YULtide and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    US Airways is part of the Star Alliance network. United is also part of the same alliance. If you go to the United.com site you can check their award availability. If they have availability for the "low" value of 12,500 miles then you should be able to book it by calling US Airways. However, I don't believe that US Airways allows one way awards so you would need to find both legs and book them at the same time.

viguera likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. tp87

tp87 New Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Thank you everyone for your comments.

I checked the United site like suggested and they are showing a low mileage flight on Us Airways. But when I go to the Us Airways site it is not listed on their book rewards travel calender. I'm trying to leave on Oct 13th and returning Oct 20th.

sobore likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may have to phone US to book award tickets on partner airlines. Do you see any other UA flights listed on the US award website? If you must call, you can request that any call center service fees be waived if you cannot do the ticket yourself on line.