Newbie! Best awards from DFW?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by blb20, May 12, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. blb20

blb20 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone, I'm a total newbie at miles and points and although I've done my research I still have a hard time finding the best award flights and such.
    I just recently signed up for the Amex PRG and met my spend to get the 50,000 points (yay!) so I'm already looking at options to use them.
    The main destination I'm currently looking at is Hawaii in December for my birthday but if you have other tropical suggestions for December I'd be open to hearing them! I will be flying out of DFW as well.
    If you need any more info then I'd be glad to supply it.
    Thank you all!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx points out of DFW will be challenging to use to get to Hawaii. If you can find seats on the AA nonstop then Avios would work (r/t in economy) but otherwise not a ton of easy options.

Take a look at this map for some idea of what the non-stop Avios options would be on AA flights. Lots of Central America is affordable, though getting award seats is going to be very, very hard as that's peak travel season (at least late December is; earlier in the month less so). Otherwise you can transfer to Delta if you find something useful as an award from them or use Air Canada or ANA for United awards.

Figure out where you want to go and where award space is available and then decide how to do it with points.

3. blb20

blb20 New Member

Status Points:
    I just looked and it looks like most of the AA flights are 40,000 one way from DFW to Hawaii :/ Using that map I looked at flying from LAX to Hawaii and the map said 12,500 miles but when I search on AAs site it says they're 40,000 one way there as well. Am I missing something?
    I did find that on United there are flights for 22,500 each way...is there anyway to transfer MR points to United?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are different tiers of award availability and also different rates from different programs. The map shows best case scenario when redeeming Avios (AmEx partern; AA is not) which only works if you can get the cheaper availability tier from AA. I'm not too surprised that the seats are not available at that rate to Hawaii in December.

For UA redemption you would transfer to Aeroplan (associated with Air Canada), or ANA. Check the website of those programs to make sure they see the award space as, similar to AA/BA, things are not always identical across partners.

5. blb20

blb20 New Member

Status Points:
    Oh ok that makes sense.
    Just checked Aeroplan and it looks like they have award flights for 45,000 round trip! Thank you so much for your help!

Wandering Aramean likes this.