Newbie - award availability hard to find?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Maximizer, Sep 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a newbie to HHonors, currently have no points, but trying to evaluate in terms of award availability. I sampled Jan 24-27 in Hong Kong, Phuket, and Buenos Aires. All say "There are no HHonors Reward Certificate rooms available".

Is this typical, or just bad luck? Do you struggle to find decent availability?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's only one Hilton (Conrad, actually) hotel in Hong Kong, and I see available rooms on your dates, plus the great points and cash rate (25k points + $1008 HKD ). I'm Gold, though I don't know if that makes a difference.

I've stayed there, really like the place. Photos are on a recent blog post, link in my sig.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all if you do not log into your account you will not be able to see award inventory secondly HH does make more awards available to Diamonds as opposed to Golds ( and quite rightly so:) )

Despite this being close to the high season for Buenos Aires as a Diamond I found awards available for all the nights you listed....so for some of us its not a struggle at all.:)

4. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am Gold, through some promo a while back, and have no points yet. Looked at some other hotels and other dates, I see nothing!

Does HHonors require to have points in order to see availability? Or could I possibly be doing something wrong? I can't imagine that Stockton, CA is super busy in mid-October and only Diamonds can get in.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats a question i am unable to answer.. since I always have points in my account...however I can see awards for properties where the amount required far exceeds the total in my account.

I suggest you call HHonors and ask that question or at least see if they can see inventory you are unable to see on-line.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The wording you are receiving seems very strange. I have never seen something like that. Normally, if there is no reward availability it will say something like: "This hotel has limited availability for HHonors Points around the dates you have selected. Use the "Back a week" and "Forward a week" buttons in the grid below to search for availability or find another hotel. View standard rates at this hotel." Or it will say: "Rate type: Unavailable for arrival".

I looked at Hong Kong for the dates you requested and do see standard availability - even without logging in.

Have you tried booking both with and without logging in? Should not make a difference but give it a try.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton won't show availability if you don't have any points in your account so you would need to log out or get points to see the availability.

circi likes this.
  8. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also see availability. It must be because you don't have points. Do you have lots of stays coming up between now and then to where you will have points to use? That's not alot of time to amass the points needed :)

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have no points you will see no availability. Despite the negative reports on TOB unless you go to very sought after locations with only one alternative, you can usually find very good availability.

8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a gold and have been able, with a little flexibility, to get the reservations I wanted. Our milepoint guide's comments are the way to go about it. Keep digging and soon you'll have pictures to rival Desamo's.:cool:

11. Putra

Putra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I checked some of properties are no available (low points) but now I have some points through my Maldives stay, I saw a lot of availability.

12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often see availability for more points than I have (it says I'd need to buy extra points). Are you saying availability goes to 0 if you have 0 points, as opposed to xx,000 booking yyy,000?

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint