newb help booking from atl to barcelona in sep

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by samgovol, Dec 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. samgovol

samgovol Active Member

Status Points:
    first...i appreciate any help

i have attained gold medallion with delta. my wife and i want to go on a mediterranean cruise in sep. 2012....any suggestions on using my miles/medallion status to get there on first class...i am very new to medallion status so i really could use any help. is it best to purchase economy tickets then use points to upgrade?

thanks for any advice!!

tomphot likes this.
  2. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends how many points you want to use. On DL you can see the mileage charts for both upgrade and free ticket. If you can start looking at dates now, you can look at reserving a ticket. However, the "cheapest" bucket of J fares may not be available this far out (sounds contradictory I know). But then again -- worth looking to see.

If you want to buy/upgrade, be aware that you need to buy in the M and higher fare bucket. THis is true for both the use of miles and SWU you get as PM/DM. This fare bucket can be quite expensive. Especially if you're buying 2!

A third option is to look at the AMEX Plat card, where you can buy one J ticket (usually full fare) and get a second free. However, depending on the cost, how many miles, etc. you may find that the deal is reasonable.

The only thing I have heard from others (no personal experience) is to AVOID Air Europa.

One last option, don't be afraid to call DL agents and ask about various options on AF/KM that don't always show up on the online booking (esp as buying tickets for upgrades).

Good luck, enjoy the trip! Hope this helps.

tomphot likes this.
  3. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with everything Davesjc said. How many miles do have in your account?

4. samgovol

samgovol Active Member

Status Points:
    thank you so much for the feedback. I have 185000 miles and my wife has about 35000 miles

5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably look at going the all-miles route rather than trying to upgrade. With the current transfer bonus, you could transfer 30K of your wife's miles to your account for $330, increasing your balance by 60K to 245K. That's more than enough to get two J seats US-EU. Head over to airfrance.us, get a free FlyingBlue account, and use that to search for flights. Then if they're all AF/KL/DL, you can use multi-city to construct it on DL.dumb. If you're using another carrier, you'll have to call. Avoiding UX over the water makes sense, but they probably won't be awful for CDG/AMS-BCN if need be.

6. samgovol

samgovol Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again for the feedback.. what is ux? Also what is the advantage of using the airfrance website? By the way..u did transfer the miles...now I have over 225k...thanks again

7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    UX=Air Europa, the Spanish SkyTeam carrier.

AirFrance's engine can search more partners than DL.dumb and its flexible date search searches all partners it can search (which is pretty much any European SkyTeam member, Asian members (other than Korean Air), Kenya Airways, Delta, and maybe some others I'm not thinking of). It's basically everything DL.dumb should be but isn't. Anything that shows up as a classic award in coach or business is bookable with DL miles at the LOW level. If you're having trouble finding business all the way, search from your home base to a gateway in coach and then do J the rest of the way.

tomphot likes this.
  8. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will see airlines often referred to in their code on this site. Take a look at this site when your not sure which airline is which.
    http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/airlcodesearch.asp

9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or highlight the code and it will tell you in the upper right hand corner!