New York's Plaza Hotel (Fairmont Managed)

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by NYBanker, Oct 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overview: Far improved versus its pre-renovation state, not at a luxury level, but not bad
    Strengths: Location, room size, décor (depending on taste)
    Drawbacks: Lots of non-guest traffic, staff are more “New York” than “Luxury Hotel,” limited participation in Fairmont loyalty program, no views from rooms

Located on the southeast corner of Central Park, at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 59th Street, to those not from here, perhaps no hotel says “New York” like the Plaza does. The only hotel in New York City to be designated a National Historic Landmark, the Plaza faced some dark days in the 1990s and early 2000s. Shut for several years in the ‘00s for a gut renovation, what has emerged is a solidly refreshed Grande Dame hotel. While far from the best in New York, for many, it is a property you wouldn’t mind spending a few nights at.

I enjoyed a free night here thanks to my continuing benefit under the Fairmont lifetime Platinum typo deal!

I recently stayed at this property...see my full report HERE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would not go out of my way to stay at this property – the Ritz Carlton CPS (just a few hundred feet away) or even the Mandarin (just a bit further up at the southwest corner of Central Park) would rank far superior to the Plaza. However, if this hotel brings about romantic connotations for you, brings back memories of the property from a by-gone era or you were fortunate to take part in the Fairmont typo deal – while you won't be thrilled, you won’t be disappointed with your stay here.

Details
    The Plaza Hotel (A Fairmont-Managed Hotel)
    Fifth Avenue at Central Park South
    New York, New York 10019
    Tel: +1 (212) 759-3000
    http://www.theplaza.com/

tondoleo, uggboy and Jimgotkp like this.