New York Times iPad app versus Wall Street Journal app

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by JSpira, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I´ve wanted to like the New York Times app since it came out but simply haven´t been able to (apparently, I´m not alone based on the ratings in the iTunes store for that matter).

On the other hand, the WSJ app actually improves upon the paper´s reading experience.

I documented pluses and minuses for both apps (and both had minuses, all is not perfect with the WSJ) in an article in Executive Road Warrior magazine that is now available on the Web - but I would be interested in getting the feedback of MPers here as well since I presume many of you carry your newspapers on your iPad.

All the News? New York Times versus Wall Street Journal iPad Apps – Review

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scottrick likes this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have an iPad, but from using each on my iPhone, I agree that the WSJ app is superior. WSJ's actually updates when I tell it to and almost never crashes. With the old NYT app I frequently would delete and reinstall the app every time I needed to update. Even the new one takes forever and still crashes occasionally. I don't know why it updates every section when it knows I don't have a subscription and can only read Top News.

One plus for NYT is that it seems to actually have ALL the stories, whereas WSJ only has a selection as far as I can tell. So assuming the NYT app works, you could potentially use it to replace the physical newspaper. But then you have to deal with NYT's stupid pricing system.

JSpira likes this.
  3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually it's the opposite. The Times has a small sampling - the WSJ seems to have much more of its articles.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go by what's free/what's clearly visible, then yes, the Times has fewer articles on it's Top News section vs. the What's News, Markets, and Opinion tabs from the Journal. However, both apps have an option to see the rest of the newspaper (More on WSJ, and Sections on NYT). I think NYT's section layout is better done, which was the basis for my comment, but maybe that's just my annoyance that WSJ couldn't have made it even easier.

I really like being able to go to WSJ.com, click on today's newspaper, and see every article organized by section (front page, Personal Journal, etc.) in order from front to back. When I want to read the paper on my phone, I want the entire paper as it was originally designed, not 20 different sections divided into little fiefdoms like "Real Estate" and "Small Biz". I'm of the opinion that the digital version should match the paper version as closely as possible. But then I also hate e-readers and can't for the life of me figure out Twitter. So maybe I'm not their target audience for an iPhone app.

5. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, you can´t see the rest of the paper in the NYT. Not even close. The article has a quote from a NYT spokesman explaining the philosophy of the app which explains this point. The Times does not include all of the news that´s in the paper or on the Web and it has nothing to do with what´s free (although I didn´t really mention this in the article, I would hope it is clear that the review is concerned with the complete app, not just a few free stories).

I just looked at the WSJ app again - there is no "more" button so I am at a loss as to how to address this point. Both apps have a "sections" button for this purpose.

I hope this clarifies how these apps work.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I mentioned I only use the iPhone apps. The More button is at the bottom left. Sorry for any confusion, but I only meant to agree that, just as you find the WSJ iPad app superior, so do I find the WSJ iPhone app superior.

JSpira likes this.
  7. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    i think that we simply had too much information about information here... but thanks for clarifying and I further agree that the WSJ iphone app is indeed better than the NYT iphone app (which is even more poorly rated in the itunes store than the NYT ipad app).

8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The USA Today app is pretty good (both for ipad and iphone). Personally, I'm not a fan of the NYT.