New York LGBT group calls for boycott of Russia’s 2014 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Europe' started by uggboy, Jul 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || New York LGBT group calls for boycott of Russia’s 2014 Winter Olympics ||

See also the following thread on MP:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/gay-tourists-in-russia-could-now-face-two-weeks-in-jail.66057/

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a terrible idea to associate the anti-gay campaign in Russia with the Olympics. The two events are not related. Makes me wonder if this action was cooked up by the Russian security services.
    It would make sense if they called for a boycott of travel to Russia for the duration of the anti-gay campaign. Of course that may include not attenting the Olympics, but it's not the same as "boycotting the Olympics".
    I also notice that belligerent acts of the Russian gov't are often correlated with high price of petroleum products. Perhaps something can be done about that too. ;)

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upcoming Olympics 2014 in Sochi get's them attention I guess, between all the chatter it's easy to get unnoticed. They want to be heard, will they have success? Probably not, as the society is too fragmented in their own ways, as is the goal here, it's like the "Occupy" movement, no real leadership and too much fragmentation and targets, which means, no real goals nor real success in the long term for such kinds of movements, of course the sad thing is, we all know that something has to be done against LGBT discrimination, not only in Russia, but worldwide, but no-one wants to touch the "iron rod" by the horns. I guess, Sochi was the next best thing they could "use" to get heard in the first place.

MX likes this.