New York hotels

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Dmh12011, May 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dmh12011

Dmh12011 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am relatively new to the travel sites and wondered if someone could help me with hotel stay in New York for September 20-23. I know some hotel programs have buy 2 nights get one free for example. I don't want to pay more than $200-$250 a night. Any advice would be appreciated.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any preferences other than price? Location? Program? How do you plan to get around?

:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint. I'd suggest the following as first choices:
    http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/manhattan-new-york.html
    This one has many nice places under $250 and they have breakfast included. You only need to know the area you'll be staying in.
    You don't give us much other information, but:
    There are lots of clubs, including University, Harvard, Princeton/Columbia (collocated IIRC). If you've eligibility for any of them they have decent rooms and save lots of money.
    New York magazine periodically publishes a list of bargain places:
    http://nymag.com/urban/guides/nyonthecheap/travel/hotels.htm

4. Dmh12011

Dmh12011 Active Member

Status Points:
    We would like to stay in the theater district and plan on attending a show or two. We are planning on taking the subway or walking.....hoping for great weather. We just booked our plane tickets using points on United and are flying into LaGuardia. As far as hotels, I do have UR points from the Chase Sapphire program but didn't know if It would be a good use of points.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the Gershwin has rates that are about your price, which is a decent hotel. The Holiday Inn in the Wall Street area and the Hilton in the Fashion District looks like they have similar prices. I would say that you can look at a bunch of hotels in Brooklyn or W Hoboken, which will have rates in your range that are lower that can get you into Manhattan easily (15 minute subway rides).

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally don't think it is worth burning UR points for Marriott or priority for a stay in NYC. The hotels are all high level categories for not a great room unless you have top status.

There is a nice boutique hotel that I have booked for our consultants and seconded attorney. It is called the Jewel at Rockefeller center. It isn't cheaper per se but great location and typically competitive price. Just have to check online for it. I may still have a 10% discount code somewhere. You can PM if you want to consider it. They provide filtered bottle water, access to laundry, gym and lounge access with wifi all included.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may want to look at the Pod or a Club Quarters property (i've stayed in mid town and the rock center locations) -DM me for member company info for CQ -my w/e rate was $150 before tax

jbcarioca and Singapore Flyer like this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park is going for ~$395 a night then if you book it using an AMEX Plat/Cent there is a special going on where you get the 3rd night free.. You also get a $100 in resort credit during your stay along with breakfast and a possible upgrade.. This is if you have an AMEX Plat or Centurion and book via FHR.

viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consider if you belong to a proper club at home, nearly certainly they'll have reciprocity with one of the midtown clubs.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or....book via DavidO and get the Stars amenities at the RC cps (if you don't have a platinum card).

jbcarioca and Jimgotkp like this.
  11. Dmh12011

Dmh12011 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked one night at The Pearl in Times Square for $200 through hotels.com. I don't see it at that price for your dates, but there are quite a few hotels between $180-$280/night that have reader ratings of >4.0, which is usually a good starting point for more research.

It also may be worth signing up for Groupon, Living Social and Google Offers. A few days ago, an offer came through to my mailbox advertising some hotel in New York. I can't remember the details and I seem to have deleted the email, but it's worth looking out for similar deals.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Priority club can be a good value in NYC. Even after the increase of price of the points, it is still a good deal. When it all said and done, the staybridge in NYC is 25,000 points a night (or $175 equivalent). If you have the PC credit card it is even cheaper at 22,500 points a night (or $157.5 equivalent). Buying the same rooms outright will be at least $360 a night + tax.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure of all the hotels that have been mentioned already but you can try the Hilton New York -they have a great location with many things to do around the hotel and its a short walk to 30 Rock etc. HHonors wise they usually have some good promos but I am not sure what category of hotel they are listed as so I cant give a good range for points. They are located at 1335 Avenue of the Americas NY NY.

jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that Hilton is a little long in the tooth by now but it's still a nice property. And you're "not that far" from everything, with Rockefeller Center being nearby and a relatively short walk to the park being possible if you have the right shoes. :)

I'd stay away from Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey, but that's just me. Airport hotels are a mess (really hit and miss, with a high probability of a miss) and unless you're looking at downtown Brooklyn or Long Island City getting back and forth to Manhattan is a chore. From Jersey would be even funkier if you're driving, unless you want to put up with the PATH train or NJ Transit buses.

That price point is low by NYC standards, but it's doable. And as someone said you can go with FHR/Virtuoso and book a really nice property and get a few extra perks for the money such as an upgrade or stay credit.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.