New York Hilton Midtown unveils Herb N' Kitchen, room service alternative

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by uggboy, Sep 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || New York Hilton Midtown unveils Herb N' Kitchen, room service alternative ||

[​IMG]

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wife just booked a last minute stay at this hotel so I'll give this place a try tomorrow... literally we booked around 6:30pm for a stay tonight and tomorrow (related to a SoftwareONE event at the hotel), and surprisingly the rates were "decent" at $249 a night, which is sort of a bargain for Midtown hotels.

From what I can see the hotel is nice, even though the rooms look a little dated (the yellow-themed wallpaper throughout the place doesn't help either). We were upgraded from a Deluxe room to a "Deluxe Corner Room" which is a little bigger and has decent views of downtown/midtown and on a high(er) floor (26th). No luck getting upgraded to the Executive Floor though, which means no lounge access.

As a Gold I did receive the usual internet access and a couple of bottles of water, plus two vouchers per person, per night, for breakfast at this here Herb N' Kitchen place.

I'll report back when I give it a shot.

uggboy likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well this wasn't anything worth writing home about... yes when you order stuff you can see it being prepared, but it's really that much different from what some other properties are currently doing. The whole "first of its kind" moniker is kind of a stretch IMO :)

Incidentally, the vouchers were good for "cold" breakfast -- you basically get seated and grab some continental-style fare like toast, bagels, cold cuts, cereal, etc. You can also get a couple of juices and coffee/tea brought to the table. If you want anything hot it's an extra charge, but you can still use the voucher for a significant discount off breakfast -- $14 per person when I used them, then again an omelette was $19 extra. I guess that's midtown Manhattan prices for you :)

Overall the hotel is nice but it's nothing to write home about. The rates were decent at $250-300 a night (considering the location), but valet is $60 and you can completely forget about street parking, of course. The rooms were passable but definitely showing their age (peeling wallpaper, etc).

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with this property. Glad to know that the hotel is good, sadly the Hilton is showing it's age, and regarding the Herb'n Kitchen concept, $19 for an omelette on top, it's expensive, but it's Manhattan as you said. Again, thanks for sharing.:)

viguera likes this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the NY Hilton as a Diamond. Worst feature: no coffee maker in the room. When I called to ask for a coffee maker, I was told that management has removed them, and you can buy coffee at the Herb'n Kitchen or get it from the Executive lounge after 6:30am. I like a cup of coffee before I get dressed. Lounge breakfast seems similar to the cold option at the Herb'n Kitchen.

Starwood properties and Hyatt properties in NYC generally have coffee makers, for me this is a downgrade here.

PS: you should be able to find an omelette for half that price. Might have to go over to 7th Ave.

viguera and anileze like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    A corner Deli should have a few options. Actually there are a few coffee&bagel carts early in the morning around that area on 6th as well as 7th Ave.

viguera likes this.
  7. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even half that price for an omelet is too high. I work four blocks from this hotel and the deli around the corner from my office makes a pretty good omelet for $3.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you could even walk to Broadway and grab a decent breakfast sandwich from Pie Face, but I guess most tourists don't know this.

Incidentally, looking at my folio the omelet was $23 :)

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  9. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    we just had pie face at our cafeteria today. Really good pies. Went with a stacked and sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

viguera likes this.
  10. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I recall, the "hot breakfast buffet" before Herb N Kitchen opened was a $20 upcharge on a Diamond's free breakfast. I remember the first time I sat down in the bar for breakfast and had one small coop of scrambled eggs and two slices of bacon, I received a bill for $43 which was reduced by $20 when I told them I was diamond.

The food costs in the Hilton Mid Town are unconscionable....there are many great and less costly options withing a half-a-block. Olympia, with $13 bacon and eggs seems to take advantage of the price umbrella set by the Hilton.

Incidentally, I'm currently staying at the Hilton Times Square. I hate the location (too far from F Train, Path, NJ Transit, and right in the heart of wax museum paradise). A hot buffet breakfast is a diamond amenity here, and the rate is about $50 less than what was quoted this week at Mid Town.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    viguera likes this.