New York City's future yellow taxi has been chosen.

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by ACMM, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link

It'll be a fleet of Nissan NV200s with skylights and electronic charging plugs, plus retractable steps that make entering and exiting easier.

Slideshow: A brief history of NYC taxi cabs

The new model was approved Thursday by the city's Taxi and Limousine Commission with a 5-2 vote.

The Nissans will replace the more than 13,000 existing cabs as they age and are retired — based on a five-year schedule created by the TLC.

The new taxis will be on New York roads starting in the fall of 2013.

sobore, tcook052, flyingdawg and 3 others like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I so miss the old checker cabs. I used to wave off other taxis just so I could ride in the checker with the folding rear seats.

tondoleo and flyingdawg like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "The iconic New York City taxi has gotten a passenger-friendly makeover from Nissan with low-annoyance horns, USB chargers and germ-fighting seats to cut down on bad odors. Medallion owners will be required to buy the Nissan NV 200 at a cost of about $29,000 starting in late 2013."

Low annoyance horns? What's the point of having a horn then?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A sign of the times.

I chuckled reading how the drivers were grumbling about the choice of future cabs and would guess it's not the first time cabbies have grumbled about change.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe New York could focus more on getting the garbage off their streets than picking a new cab design every three years. I've lost track of how frequently it changes, and the bullet proof glass makes me feel like I'm in the back of a police cruiser.

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    These were excellent cars. Fun to ride in. Easy to repair if that issue arose.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got experience with that? ;)

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, my brother did get held for a short time because he tried to assume my identity. So for a brief time before they figured it out I was "in the system."

But more seriously, the bullet proof glass seems impersonal, and it creates a bad image for the city. One of the things I noticed when I moved to Seattle is that all of the Bank of America branches have bullet proof glass at the teller windows. I'd never seen this at bank until I moved there. There were more important reasons why I eventually ditched them, but I moved to Wells Fargo in part because they don't do that, in Seattle or the Bay Area. Maybe there's a safety issue, but a lot of banks seem to be doing okay without it--a lot of taxis, too.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed I prefer to visit cities where the cabbies are honest and I don't need to be protected from them by that bullet proof glass. ;)

Scottrick likes this.