New York City: Which Properties?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by FrugalAsianMan, Aug 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Following ckwill's lead for the LA Inquiry thread, I thought I would throw out my travel plans to some suggestions from the MP community (which I just joined earlier today...hello everyone!). :)

This October, I'm planning on traveling to NYC to celebrate my birthday. I've been to NYC about three times before, but I've never done the touristy things (which I'll be doing this time). (Mostly work related travel in the past.)

I'm looking at SPG hotels in the area and wondering for those of you who have stayed with SPG properties in the New York or New Jersey area, what would you recommend and why?

For the purposes of this thread, let's say I'll have at my arsenal 60k SPG points by October (AMEX cards; not entirely sure when points will post), and my preferred way of spending is Cash+Points. I also like getting the best bang for my buck so I will definitely take into account points/$ and $ spent. I'll be staying for four nights (Oct 11-Oct 15).

I'm also considering staying in New Jersey and just commuting to NYC (I've done this a couple of times in the past--one of them at a Sheraton), and possibly just doing cash only to rack up points instead.

I'll be traveling with my girlfriend, so we only need a single room. A requirement for any Jersey properties that are suggested is that there needs to be some shuttle service to the local train that'll take us to the NYC metro. (Or if it's within walking distance, that'd be even better.)

So thoughts?

Here are a list of the NYC properties:
    • W New York - Times Square
    • The Chatwal, New York City
    • The Westin New York at Times Square
    • The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
    • Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square
    • Element New York Times Square West
    • Sheraton New York Hotel
    • Le Parker Meridien New York
    • The St. Regis New York
    • W New York
    • The Westin New York Grand Central (new property! opening Oct 1!)
    • Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea
    • W New York - Union Square
    • Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village
    • Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City/Queensboro Bridge
    • Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel
    • W New York - Downtown
    • Aloft Harlem
    • Aloft New York Brooklyn
    • Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
    • Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel
    • Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel
    New Jersey properties nearby:
    • Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
    • W Hoboken
    • The Westin Jersey City Newport
    • Sheraton Meadowlands Hotel & Conference Center
    • Sharaton Parsippany Hotel
    • Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center

Thanks in advance!

tl;dr: for those of you who have stayed with SPG properties in the New York or New Jersey area, what would you recommend and why?

tommy777 likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd stay at Sheraton LaGuardia East. I've stayed there 10 nights for work and it's great. Especially since you're asian :) ... the best XLB are across the street.

but xlb aside, SLGE seems to always have C&P redemption & they are literally half a block from the 7 train which takes you into Manhattan. Yeah you can stay in Manhattan and not have to take the train, but I dont mind it if I get to save some serious money cuz C&P.

Also there's this place that has great chasui wonton noodle soup :)

FrugalAsianMan likes this.
  3. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    That sounds tasty. :) Thanks for the reply!

4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The SLGE is a great location for that purpose. Stay away from the JFK one. It is scary and not convenient unless you have to be bear the airport.

I stayed at the Parsippany location for a staycation with the family. Nice but it is not close to the city. About 40+ miles by car and about 1.50 hours by rail (my boss lives in the town next door).

The 4P is close to the queensboro bridge and subway stations in LiC. It is convenient. That is the extent of what I think is good about the place. I live less than 10 minutes away.

Personal favorite is W union square. Great location IMHo. Away from the touristy areas but still close enough to them by subway or even walking

5. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    October is an expensive - and busy - time to go to NYC. Doubt you'll find a good C&P deal. Your best best is to look for a hotel offering 7k or 12k points a night.

Sometimes the Element offers 7k points a night and that's a good location and easy to get around. The hotel is pretty good.

All the Times Sq hotels will be around 12K + points a night at that time. If you really want a treat, stay at the St Regis, but it will run 25 - 30k points a night. But it's so worth it!

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:

SLGE has C&P all throughout Oct. :) 4,000 SPG + $60

7. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    Good spot! I was thinking that SLGE might be a little too far, but knowing it's only a few mins walk from the subway is good enough for me. And that's a fantastic C&P!

Anyone else have any good or bad experiences with the listed SPG properties that they'd like to share? I love hearing the feedback from fellow travelers. :)

tommy777 likes this.
  8. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know you're an SPG fan, but if you're looking for a good value, you might consider the Hilton Times Square. I was able to obtain a rate of $159+ tax in July when all SPG properties were wanting $200+ a night.

Points, Miles, and Martinis on Boarding Area, may have a way for you to get mid-tier level status with Hilton:
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointsmilesandmartinis/2012/08/update-instant-hilton-golf-and-50000-bonus-point-offer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: boardingarea/pointsmilesandmartinis (Points Miles and Martinis)
    Be aware the offer is a targeted offer, but my fiancee qualified, despite not being officially targeted. ;)

The Hilton Times Square is in a great, central Manhattan location, of course close to Times Square. Plus the Subway is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel's front doors.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can get HHonor Gold w/o being targeted. MMS has info.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/01/28/free-hilton-gold-status-free-breakfast-internet/

10. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    @Max: I'm actually a Hilton fan too. I already have Gold status from a free signup link that was posted several months back. :) And I saw that post by theweeklyflyer...might see if my gf can qualify for it. :) If not, at least snag about 2.5k points for myself.

Anyway, I'll definitely look into that location too. Thanks!
    I want to keep the rest of this thread geared mostly towards SPG properties though. Any other suggestions? :D

tommy777 likes this.
  11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've fallen in love with the Chatwal. I think it's the best SPG property in Manhattan. It's a little bit pricey though..

There are some good deals to be had at the Le Meridien and there's also Starpicks frequently at the downtown W. I got it last October for 195 a night.

I wouldn't stay outside of Manhattan. You'll just waste your time on public transportation or in overpriced cabs.

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What upgrades do you get at the Chatwal? What is the breakfast offering for a Platinum?

I've never tried it.