New York City Hotel Suggestions

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamEfimoff, Jan 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. I am wondering what hotel for spa and near everything including dining for NYC should I go to? for about 800 dollars -1200 a night. I am waiting if I should go now or wait for Four Seasons Downtown.
    I love the design of Baccarat , I do not love Gramcey Park so much.

Also what airline Business From Australia should I take Air New Zealand , United , Qantas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    NOT UA.

Do you want a fine dining restaurant located right within the hotel? NYC has many good restaurants, although of course they're expensive.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on what you want, you could go for the Ritz Carlton Battery Park and just take a cab / car service to a spa like Red Door in midtown. If you want to be downtown then you could do the other RC near Central Park or even the Park Hyatt, although those might even stretch your budget.

4. I really would like a pool

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the city? lol

What time of year is this?

6. @viguera it would be july or dec It does not matter how cold even -30 C might feet get really sore from walking and a whirlpool and pool works wonders

viguera likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood, but space is always at a premium so you will more than likely find either a small pool, or one that gets turned into part of a rooftop bar when the weather is nice -- ironic, as this is when people would actually want to use the pool.

The winter months are killer out here, so you can't expect any sort of heated oasis like you're in Iceland or something -- it's 20° today (which is warm for the weather we've had) and we're expecting a blizzard.

As far as I know, there are very few luxury properties with pools in NYC proper. Even fewer on hotels that belong to a chain. The Gansevoort has a rooftop one that's 40 feet I think, but I believe they tend to host happy hours around it in the summer, and even though it's heated I don't think it's in service in December.

The Mandarin Oriental or the Empire hotel might be the only ones that fit the bill.

I'm sure other people might chime in though with other suggestions.

8. Karen_nz

Karen_nz Member

Status Points:
    New York is sooo expensive - last time I went I could only afford the YHA hostel - but I wouldn't recommend that place!

daninstl likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at the ParcHotel in Flushing. It's a much less expensive hotel than what this post is looking for though. It's in a Chinatown type area but very convenient to the subway station and shopping. Close to LGA which is also nice. Ask for a room on the North side of the hotel so you can overlook LGA. I paid about $125 a night for a standard King room through Pointshound.

The Hyattplace near there is also very nice.

uggboy likes this.
  10. so why mention it?

daninstl likes this.
  11. where do people go to eat for excellent creative cuisine

viguera likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In New York? Pretty much anywhere... but it depends on your definition of "creative"

You can do any number of Izakaya places... or eat with your hands at an Ethiopian restaurant, etc. But seriously, it is difficult to find bad food in NYC, mostly because people are so demanding. :)