New York & Chicago - 30th Birthday Celebration

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Euan, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was June 2010 and my fiancé and I had been discussing our holiday plans for later in 2010 when she asked me what I wanted to do for my 30th in February 2011. For her 30th just 6 months earlier we had gone to NYC for 5 nights so the options were wide open!

We worked out that we could realistically take a week off work but felt that Asia was just a bit far away and South America we wanted to visit, but with more time. In the end it came down to Europe or North America.

We’ve been to the West Coast and visited NYC a number of times but we had always fancied Chicago so that was identified as an early runner. However, as my favourite sport is ice hockey my 30th seemed a good excuse to head back to The Garden and so the trip was now beginning to take shape that involved splitting a week between New York and Chicago.
    Hope you enjoy the TR and feel free to comment here or on tumblr and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

MissBurrill, Toula and sobore like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm was that a bacon butty with a bit of sausage thrown in that you had for brekky?

3. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a bacon buttie (in a croissant) with a fried egg!

Toula likes this.
  4. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    All remaining parts to the trip report have now been added with the links updated in the first post.

Return trip included BA's new First class product.

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm so I take it you are not on a health kick with that breakfast going in your tummy.

Interesting report. I did not realise that the LCY - NY did immigration prior to arrival, nor did I realise it stopped along the way.

6. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the flight stops in Shannon to clear immigration there so you arrive as domestic passengers and as you'll have read in my report, can be in a cab in under 10 minutes!

It also has to stop en-route as due to the short runway at LCY, it can't take enough fuel onboard to make the trip in one go. On the return leg, JFK-LCY it is non-stop as the long runway allows it to fuel up.

7. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had food to use up :)