New York-Buffalo: Why so many cancellations?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by birricoddo, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi,

I'm going to have a trip on NYC for 8 days in May. I'd visit Niagara Falls.
    I have to go with U.S. Airways round trip on the same day, perhaps taking a flight at 10 am NYC-Buffalo (flight 3770 ) and Buffalo-NYC fligh (flight 4097 )t at 8 pm.
    I noticed as I was to book statistics on flight delays / time / deleted.
    The percentage of flight delays and cancellations is really high.
    I want to know why and if you advise me to this book the same flights.
    I am especially worried in case of cancellation of the return flight, as I continue to visit New York City, where I have already booked my hotel.
    What happens in case of cancellation? There is a re-booking the same day on a flight with another airline? Risk of spending the night at the airport?. What do you advise me to do?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    NYC means delays, New York airspace is incredibly crowded and the system as currently conceived can't really handle it. This can be true at all times, but especially during the 7am - 9am and 5pm - 7pm periods.

Buffalo often entails delays due to weather (New York City-area airports do as well, but Buffalo gets plenty of snow).

Add into that regional flights, smaller aircraft, and often lower priority to those aircraft and you're going to expect lower performance. Look at it this way, at least you're not looking to fly Atlantic Southeast!

Travel is May is a plus, you're far less likely to get problematic weather. You're not in Winter, so low snowstorm risk. You're not in, say, July with late afternoon thunderstorms.

Your travel times are also a plus, you're after the busiest peak morning period and also after the peak evening period, lower risk of delays (and delays can always turn into cancellations e.g. due to crew timing out on permissable duty time).

As far as what happens in the event of cancellation, it'll often depend on the reason for the cancellation, what other options for flying are available as well. If it's the airline's fault (eg mechanical) you're far more likely to get re-accomodated on another carrier than if the problem is weather. But then, are there seats available on another carrier?

If they don't put you on it and there are still seats available you could consider a walkup purchase on the late JetBlue flight to JFK. Otherwise you're likely looking at the next morning in the event of cancellation which is still, remember, a low likelihood. Even if the flight doesn't operate on time, odds on it will operate. And if it doesn't, odds on it's a cause that affects other flights as well.

Things do happen during travel, worst cases scenarios occur, and if I really really really need to be somewhere, the costs are especially high if I'm delayed, I try to arrange my plans to arrive earlier than I otherwise need to - ensuring that there are plenty of backup options of getting where I'm going.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I suppose in a worst case, it's a 6.5 hour drive... ;)

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  4. thank you very much for your reply.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. vortoozo
    Original Member

vortoozo Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the event of a BUF cancellation, ROC and YYZ are alternates that US can reroute you to as well if this ends up being more convenient for whatever reason.