New Year's in Zurich

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Mike Reed, Jul 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I be spending New Years's (and the week after) in Zurich for our fourth anniversary. I've got some friends I'll be reaching out to, but I'd love to hear tips on where to go/what to do in the area. We're also considering spending time in other cities in the region... at this point we've only booked the flight in and out.

Thoughts?

2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited for a few days two years ago in the spring and they had a nice deal on a pass called a Zurich Card. You can go surprisingly far on that thing. I like to wander though, might not be your thing!

Btw, the Wikitravel article on Zurich was helpful to me.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our favorite city in Switzerland is Luzern, Lucerne ( opposed to Lausanne which is quite nice in itself) 30 mins by train ( the best way to travel in that country) from Zurich.

The city is set on Lake Luzern and is among other things famous for its old wooden bridge built in the 14th century said to be the oldest in Europe.
    One can also take one of the lake steamers (these boats operate with the typical Swiss efficiency on a very precise schedule) and visit the small towns on the lake. If you get a Swiss rail pass the cost of travelling on them is included.

A few years ago we stayed in Vitznau at a wonderful old wooden hotel which was a SPG property but I believe it was damaged beyond repairs a few years ago by flooding. From Vitznau you can take the worlds highest cog-railway to the summit of Mount Rigi.
    Edited to add that Vitznau is one of the Lake Luzern towns.. the boat ride from Luzern itself about 20 mins.

Our last visit was in early March and it snowed the night after our arrival. Travelling on the lake with all the surrounding hills dusted with snow was an incredible beauty..

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    If opera is your thing, Opernhaus Zurich is a very nice venue dating back to early 19th Century: http://www.opernhaus.ch/en/.

Davos is about 2hr scenic train ride from Zurich. Perhaps you could splurge for the historic Schatzalp Snow & Mountain Resort or just burn some SPG points for a nice, but somewhat impersonal Sheraton Davos.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Opera could definitely be a win - we're much more symphony people, but in the same cultural vein.

Loving the alternate city ideas, too, and the SwissCard looks like a good deal.

Looking online, Zurich seems to have a large public celebration for New Years. Yes?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint