New Years in Montreal/Toronto?

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by edekba, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone been to those places around new years? How cold is it? Are the cities still walk able, or it's strictly hotel to taxi to place type affair.

Thanks

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Toronto can be cold - Montreal even colder, but there are fun things to do and it can be festive. I think the last NY was around -10C (14F) for the low and the previous yr had a unseasonable high of 10C (50F).

In Toronto there is an annual NYE party at Nathan Phillip Square (Toronto City Hall). Other events include festivities at the Toronto Zoo.

Taxis are not cheap in TO, but they are abundant. Don't forget that there is also subway access to City Hall and most DT events (the Zoo is in the far east end of the city). I am fairly immune to temp swings so I think it is walkable, but during the day hours, Toronto also has a huge underground walking path (aptly called the PATH).

YULtide and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I mean i've been to Tahoe/YVR in the winter; and it was prolly around 40F & I was fine. Not sure about walking around during the day time while its below 0C. I've never really done that before.
    Also seeing as it I am from LA/SF ... we dont know what real cold is ... hah

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither does Toronto. :D

Both would great for New Year's, though I have a soft spot for Montreal. Bring a warm coat and enjoy.

edekba and viguera like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hah well I guess comapred to Edmonton ... ?

I really wanna goto Montreal; as my GF is fluent in French. However one of the main perks (not sure if that's the right term ... maybe highlight) is the Bixi thing. But obviously nobody will be biking around when its close to 0C

YULtide likes this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Bixis will be long gone. They are taken out for the winter and return again in the Spring. Some hard-core cyclists still commute by bike in winter, though. Even at -20C.

edekba likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    between the two, having been to both during Christmastime, my choice would be for Montreal, no doubt.

Horse drawn sleigh ride through the snow/woods in Mount Royal park was fantastic, wife & I were bundled under a big fur blanket. Walks through the old port area when snowing. Plus best bagels are in Montreal, not to leave out the smoked meat.:)

YULtide and edekba like this.
  8. If I was going to Canada for the seasonal festivities I would look at Quebec City the oldest in NA and a true winter paradise. They have all the things to do that montreal has but a much livlier lifestyle.