New Year's Eve (12/31/12) hotels already booked in Rio de Janeiro?!?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sweet Willie, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    After spending a NYE in Rio a few years ago and wanting to get at least one more use out of our $150 Brazil visas, we were thinking of going back to Rio for this coming NYE.

I'm looking for a hotel (most any will do) on/near Ipa or Copa. There are zero rooms, I've tried numerous booking sites.

Do they open up rooms later in the year?

BTW, NYE in Rio was magical, I don't think I've ever witnessed such a large yet socioeconomic-diverse crowd that was so positive/harmonious.

2. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding New Years Eve in Rio, I've had the same experience ...and the same wish to return! We were on Copacabana Beach Dec 31 in the early 80's. The crowds, the energy and the fireworks display were like nothing I've ever experienced before or since! I've tried, almost every year since then to book a return and hotels are always sold out! I can only think that large blocks of rooms are pre booked....but they just never seem to get released to the public. Perhaps a package/tour????

nime01, jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rio is totally booked in all classes, levels and categories for YE. Rumor has it that The Rolling Stones may do it again, mostly because Mick Jagger visits his child, but that is only rumor. The only chance at all is try to force book one of the Sheratons or the JW Marriott if you have the status and clout. The price will be incredible if you can do that. If you have the Accor clout you've the Sofitel and Mercures to try for. The only way to get in anywhere is to use clout. A possibility is to try travel agents for access to their blocks. They're not cheap, but they do still have rooms. American Express TRS allegedly does, as does TAM holidays. That is the only alternative I can think of. As for me, I leave town...

nime01, sobore, Bonnie and 2 others like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ugh, looks like we try next year......

Thanks for the feedback!!

nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep trying anyway. There are several months of possibilities!

nime01 likes this.
  6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some hotels let you book 364 days in advance. I know I booked a couple of possibilities for NYE the first day they were available. IHG hotels let you book 50 weeks in advance, I just booked some award stays about a week ago for my kid in NYC. Many hotels disappeared in a day or less, at least for award bookings.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want a hotel in Rio de Janeiro for Carnival or for NYE it is wise to book the moment the booking becomes possible. Even with many new hotels being built Rio de Janeiro (all of Brazil, if fact) has a huge hotel deficit. Plan ahead if you want a room!

nime01 and harvson3 like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that will probably be the case, or at least until the initial opening booking window has passed.

nime01, harvson3 and jbcarioca like this.
  9. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This may not fit the level of luxury you're looking for, but...

You could pull out the Lonely Planet guide and call some of the pousadas in Ipanema or Copacabana and ask if they're booking yet. They all speak English. They're probably not available on the web-based searches you're using, and some of them are quite nice. I checked out the Rio Dolphin Inn, for example, for a friend who was planning a honeymoon.

And if you don't mind spending an hour on a bus inching down Av. Nossa Senhora when it's all done, options to the north (Flamengo, Gloria, Sta. Teresa) might be easier to book.

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    All pousdas, hotels and hostels are booked. Zero availability anywhere in Santa Teresa. One can only hope there will be more spaces soon, but I have no idea how.

Sweet Willie and nime01 like this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The key, a real key, is after the fireworks are over, trying to find a ride (even to the nearby Sheraton), it was soooo easy to simply walk 100 yards from the beach to our hotel & continue the party.

Bonnie, nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, it is good to remember that if you're Marriott Platinum you can get a room. There is even time enough to qualify for Platinum before you'll need to use it.

nime01 likes this.
  13. arsenal123

arsenal123 New Member

Status Points:
    hey guys, I saw this posting whilst searching on google.
    I actually have a spare room at the ibis in Bogatofo not far from Copacabana beach for this new years
    I was supposed to be going with my wife but can no longer make it. I paid just over $200 for the room and would be willing to sell if face value
    let me know if any of you fancy it!

jbcarioca likes this.