New Year = New Churn

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by mrx900, Jan 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy New Year everyone! Well, it has been since June since my last churn, and I think it's time to "clean the house of cards"...out with (some) old cards and in with some new ones. Da wifey's stash of cards might as well be churned as well. Here is what looks good on the menu...:

Chase Freedom 20,000 pts offer (expired and missed it! DOH! )
    Amex MR Premier 50K offer
    (I decided to wait for a 75K offer)
    Discover IT $150 cash back offer
    Barclay's US Airways MC (one more time, before its goodbye)
    CitiBank Business AAdvantage (got this 3 yrs ago....so should be okay to get again)
    Bank of America Virgin Atlantic 50,000 pts (which I plan to convert to Hilton)
    Chase United Explorer - 55,000 miles
    Capital One Venture - 50,000 miles

We have done ALL the Chase UR cards, and I think we're limited to 2 AmEx cards......Does anybody have other suggestions or offers I may have missed?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong with hoarding miles & points, but it all depends on your travel plans and goals. For instance, if you planning a Hawaiian trip, I'd concentrate on getting enough miles/points with the least amount of out of pocket cash to achieve that trip. BTW, 35K Miles Hawaiian Card is Back! One each, for the wife & yourself, plus a business card and you are set for that trip + intra-Hawaiian flights. Plus couple of cards to cover the hotels. If you are planning a trip to Istanbul, I'd concentrate on cards that will earn me miles on airlines that fly there from PDX. Like DL/KL, DL/AF, UA/TK, UA/LH ... and so on.

uggboy and mrx900 like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make it work for you, otherwise you are spinning your wheels.

Citi is an easy flip, I put my wife's name on the business checking, so opened up a whole new world.

You can have more than 2 Amex I do.

What is your airlines of choice

4. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to get 3 Amex cards last churn, and got denied the third one....even after a reconsideration call to C F Frost's home. Not sure why this is the case for me. My airline(s) of choice is Alaska Airlines and United, so I have been concentrating on collecting UA miles (Ink Cards) and Bofa AS Visa cards + Starwood, for journeys across the two ponds, but now I have twin girls and need to use a difft strategy, so I can gain enuff currency to travel in F & J class. Of course this means more miles and points needed, and with the ongoing devaluations, it's like becoming tougher and tougher, but it's all fun!

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has many cards for points with Chase,

We often go one way with AA only to return United..

AA does have an Amex Card...

SPG X-Fers can take a while also.

6. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: I got approved for all my cards, except the Citibank Business AAdvantage ; I plan on calling them this afternoon to get it approved.

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have made many SPG points transfers to AA and it takes around 5 days to show ...

uggboy likes this.
  8. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually asked them about how long it takes for xfers and (I think this applies for all transfers)..they said on the 1st and the 15th of each month.

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done the SPG to AA transfer 10+ times, and they always appeared in my AA account in 5 days ... just my experience :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    uggboy and MX like this.
  10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience with the CitiBusiness AA was that I got turned down and couldn't do anything on the reconsideration line, but writing them via the post office (as recommended by MMS here I think: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/08/15/credit-card-reconsideration/ back when he was still producing useful content once in a while):

"You are usually more successful when you write to: CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117."

Worked for me.

11. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long had it been since you have had the US Airways card and the United card? I have both now and would like to reapply for a second of each. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

12. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I last applied for the US air MasterCard in June of 2011...& the United card applied in November 2011

gconnery, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is time for another application! ;) I applied for and got two of them within 12 months period. The US Air credit cards are here to stay (at least until 2017) and there is a 50K miles bonus offer out there! :)

Also, PM&M reports that his SPG transfers to US Airways went through in 24 hours!
    - See more at: http://boardingarea.com/pointsmiles...-from-spg-to-us-airways/#sthash.A5VCLCe2.dpuf

14. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz....I got both the United & USAir cards.....I was suprised I got approved for both of them..... On any note, this should keep me full until my next churn!

15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Full & satisfied, I may add! ;)

uggboy and Newscience like this.