New Visa card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Precision80, Nov 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Precision80

Precision80 Active Member

Status Points:
    I like many others am looking for a Schwab replacement card. I have the SPG for my everyday card, Amex Plat and used to have Schwab for a non Amex card. We do a lot of shopping on Amazon and their card is effectively 3% back there, 2% on gas, drugs and restaurants and 1% everywhere else. To me I think it makes sense to get this card but after a post today by Gary on his blog, I'm thinking about the sapphire card.

I unfortunately cannot comprehend how their program works. Can somebody break it down for me? Thoughts on the sapphire vs amazon?

Lastly, I have an old slate card with a decent limit. Will Chase allow me to open a new account without a credit pull and basically transfer all info to a new card? I know they will reallocate if requested but what about a "transfer"?

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred card since the Ultimate Rewards program is getting better day after day! There are a lot of partners to transfer your UR (Ultimate Rewards) points to including various airlines that are in different alliances which is a plus. The airlines are British Airways (OW), Continental/United (*A), Korean Air (ST) and there is Amtrak as well. For hotels you have Marriott, Hyatt and Priority Club which is a good selection as well! The UR program in my opinion is better than AMEX's Membership Rewards program since MR lost their ties with CO and AC is starting to charge passengers for fuel surchage fees.

I doubt Chase will let you open a new account without a credit pull since it's a different card and as you mentioned it can be a long time since your score was checked by them. If you get denied for not reaching the minimum $5K credit limit since it's a Visa Signature card then you can request the credit limit from the Slate card to be transferred to the Sapphire Preferred card.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    * No foreign currency transaction fees
    * One point per dollar spent, except:
    * two points per dollar on all travel-related (air, hotel, car, gas, taxi, tolls) spend and restaurant spend
    * Annual 7% bonus on points earned

Points transfer 1:1 (and account names don't have to match) into United/Continental, Korean, British Airways, Hyatt, Marriott, Priority Club, Amtrak.

When you have the card you can make purchases through the Ultimate Rewards mall, which often offers a better return for online shopping than competitor shopping portals.

The annual fee is waived the first year. And it's a gorgeous card :) with no embossed numbers on the front, and a heavier construction than most cards.

I admit, the program has gotten much better in recent months and I'm lovin' it. Really matches my spend pattern (heaviest spend is travel and dining) and as a Visa it's versatile, I use it at my cleaners for instance that doesn't take Amex..

knvinvest likes this.
  4. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got my first statement for the Sapphire Preferred. I did NOT get the bonus points for my toll road EZ Tag in Houston. This is a prepaid toll account, so it might work if you are paying the tolls directly at the booth.

5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any updates on this? I never thought of putting my EZTag spend on my new Sapphire Preferred card (it's defaulting to my SPG AmEx that I've had for years). Certainly feels to me like "travel" while I'm in my car for an hour!

theBOAT

Sent from my iPad using milepoint app

6. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got my first statement. I had an $80 HCTRA (Harris County Toll Road Authority) rebill on the statement, but I had 0 points for travel-related spending bonuses. I moved the spending over to my UA Club card to earn 1.5 miles per dollar.

theBOAT likes this.