New upgrade email from United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tommy777, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

Well, this is a first. Just got this email from United about a flight SNA-ORD in November. It's not a buy up solicitation, but they apparently want me to use miles to upgrade, but as a 1K, there's also of course CR1s.
    I assume all elites will get this informing the lower tiers of this mileage option if there's early availability

Their IT is obviously flawed as I've already upgraded the two of us with CR1s when I purchased the ticket two months ago.

Love the picture with the nice glass and the computer that will be off line and you can't charge. I assume the CO marketing person who did the "lame upgrade to first guy" picture is back (not as good though) :p

[​IMG]

Hello Tommy,
    [​IMG]
    Use your miles to upgrade to luxury.
    [​IMG]
    You can request to United First® on your upcoming flight using a MileagePlus® Upgrade Award and if an upgrade seat is available, it's yours.
    [​IMG]

As an elite member, you're eligible for complimentary Unlimited Domestic Upgrades, which can be confirmed within a few days of departure. But why wait? Use your miles for a Mileage Plus Upgrade Award and confirm your upgrade as soon as it's available. Also, with your elite status, you are exempt from any Upgrade Award co-pays.
    Upgrade now and enjoy:

Comfortable seating and extra legroom
    Complimentary alcoholic beverages
    Complimentary in-flight entertainment

[​IMG]

Travelsavant and hulagrrl210 like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind the emails too much. I just got the same one this morning (for a flight this afternoon where F already appears sold-out). What bothers me is that they use pictures of their new international first product to push upgrades on regional jets, etc. A little truth in advertising would dilute the snake oil.

Travelsavant likes this.
  3. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    With saver award availability practically eliminated, it's either blow your miles on this sales pitch or burn em on standard awards. The game is a-changin' and it ain't something that, "I think I will like"!

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just about to start a thread about it. Got that awesome email today for an upcoming flight from SFO to ABQ... Operated with a CRJ 200. Kind of an ugly way to remind me of that painful experience.

Travelsavant likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    PesosPlus!

Travelsavant, unavaca and hulagrrl210 like this.
  6. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are desperate to get all the miles we control, now expanded by the merger, off their books as quickly as possible. Doesn’t look like any domestic F I’ve seen on UACO.

7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got one of those this morning too, also on flights that have already been upgraded with CR1s. I don't mind the solicitation--the delete key is easy to find--but it just makes you look dumb, UACO, when you send me this when I'm already in F. Also, I'm looking forward to my stemware in domestic F :D

Travelsavant and mht_flyer like this.
  8. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    The next thing will be daily junk snail-mail offering loyal Mileage Plus members a deal they can't refuse and the privilege to flash a UA Visa card.
    Doh, that's already happening! What I meant was junk (spam) e-mails offering you the same (above mentioned) Visa card deals that are way to good to pass up. Doh, that's already happening too. I guess what I meant to say was nightly, (boiler room) solicitation calls offering you a cool metallic colored Visa card that is definitely a must have in ones wallet, or purse, in order to keep up with the Jones. Doh, I guess I am not as lucky as others as I only receive 30 second pause calls about every 3rd day from my friends at Visa, who want to make sure that I am not missing something that is way too good to be true!
    Doh!

Travelsavant likes this.
  9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    or MileageNonplussed

Travelsavant likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had received this, I probably would have deleted it after reading the first line: "You can request to First...." Generally when I receive email claiming to be from major corporations that contains spelling, grammar, and syntax errors, I assume that it's a phishing scheme or something. I certainly wouldn't click into a website from this.

Travelsavant likes this.
  11. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weird. I've got five trips planned before the November one-hour flight they suggested I upgrade with miles. I'll take my chances.

Travelsavant likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My message didn't have that error.

"You can request an upgrade to United First® on your upcoming flight using a MileagePlus® Upgrade Award and if an upgrade seat is available, it's yours."

Travelsavant likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP looks like tommy777 just did a cut and paste. It's not the standard MP font and I can't imagine someone copying such a long email by hand.

Travelsavant likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, by the way, this may be a first for Tommy, but it certainly wasn't the first time I received a message like this. Looking through my email archive, I see a message from March of this year with the subject line "My Mileage Plus: Confirm your upgrade right away with Premium Seating" and a similar offer. And then in May it was "Search available upgrades for your flight". Both of these earlier emails mentioned my upcoming flight without being specific about the flight or destination, so they have refined the email somewhat... but not enough to actually check if F is even an option (or already selected).

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I suspect they caught the typo somewhere along the way.

[​IMG]

Travelsavant likes this.
  16. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got similar emails a couple months ago, for flights I had already upgraded. Frankly I don't know that it matters. Do folks rush to use their miles and pay a co-pay? I don't have stats, but I'm not so sure. I guess most people read this, think "oh great", and then find out about a) the co-pay or 2) the fact that they dont have enough miles or 3) the fact that "requested" doesn't mean "confirmed" or 4) the fact that it's way too complicated anyway.

For the longest time MP worked for people like us thanks to its opaqueness. Frankly, who understood 500 miles for example? A lot of business guys had no clue they could upgrade for free--I'm sure we've all seen that in talking to folks at the airport or in the air. Now, UA tries to reward big spenders first and encourage mileage redemption. Fair game. I don't think much will change at the end of the day.

I say, let's not complain and worry... instead, let's focus on the "luxury" we've been enjoying for years ;) Pillowless luxury!

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be bizarre how poorly airlines target their marketing. Delta, for example, often has ads for their gold amex plastered all over the biz/first/elite checkin areas. These ads advertise getting free bags on delta flights. Just about everyone who gets close enough to see those ads would already have that perk anyway, or is willing to pay for first. Seems like a better place to advertise the MQM boosts of the pricier cards.

Travelsavant likes this.
  18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LUFCG IS BACCKKKKK!!!!!!!

Travelsavant and tommy777 like this.
  19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The email I got from CO today (UA never sends me anything) extolls the various forms of reciprocal upgrading we now have between UA and CO.

Travelsavant likes this.
  20. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the same email for an itinerary I already submitted SWU requests.:confused:

Travelsavant likes this.
  21. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What?

Travelsavant likes this.
  22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Travelsavant likes this.
  23. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travelsavant likes this.
  24. LUFCG

LUFCG Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't doubt it. Easy to spot too, the chump drinking cheap airline wine

25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sending this email when an upgrade is available is a nice idea and will get people to use miles to upgrade more often (presumably their goal from this campaign).

Sending it when it isn't helps remind pax of the carrier's capacity controls! It would seem to do more harm than good in such situations.

Travelsavant likes this.