New Upcoming Hilton JFK Airport Hotel

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by MilePointInformed, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to give a heads up that finally there will be a full service Hilton Hotel @ JFK
    in the Fall of 2011.I really hope Hilton does this right with a great Executive Lounge
    and good quality comfortable quiet rooms and suites.
    They will have some challenges as this is a conversion from the former Holiday Inn.
    This is one of the only airports in our country within a major city that
    I cannot find one hotel that meets basic standards of a desirable 3 or 4 star property
    I find this shocking in such a major important market.

Especially as the current crop of hotels in that market is so poor
    With the high average daily rates one would think JFK would attract a good premium player
    Lets hope this is the first game changer at JFK
    I now travel into NYC and Long Island giving up on my guest programs sometimes just to avoid the gouge and poor quality experience at JFK airport hotels
    Fingers crossed
    Cheers

doc likes this.
  2. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    except for the HGI and Sheraton most so called new Hotels by JFK are simply old ones being reflagged, does anyone know if that is the case with this Hilton?

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've used the Hilton Garden Inn as a least-bad option in the past. And sans shutle one might even consider the Holiday Inn Long Island City Manhattan View which is actually a pretty remarkable property for a Holiday Inn, though not as close to JFK as the airport hotel alternatives.

Anything would be welcome here but reflagging the Holiday Inn doesn't give great odds.

doc likes this.
  5. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there is a good hotel in this area, I haven't yet found it... sorry :(
    EWR is a NYC area airport with several good options :)

6. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    My general problem is the options down by JFK are so substandard and expensive. A combination the means I will arrange an early morning ride to the airport instead of going the night before and avoid the hotel.

I am looking forward to reviews of this one when it opens but being a former Holiday Inn I'm not looking for much.

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have used the HGI a couple of times, when arriving quite late and leaving early. Usually we are checking in after midnight and leaving between 6 and 7. All we require is a decent bed, and HGI is acceptable. If you're going to spend any time at all awake, why stay here?

doc and Tenmoc like this.
  9. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes one is waiting for an afternoon flight the next day and getting in at 1 or 2 AM
    I dislike the HGI bed its very hard unlike the past generation of Hilton Garden Inn beds which I found satisfactory
    The dial to adjust the comfort of the bed which is hidden on the side of the mattress under the velcro and sheets is a failure.One can feel no difference when moving the dial.The guest rooms are very small and the business center is so cramped with stagnant air its pathetic. Especially when the hotel is at high occupancy which adds to the cramped feeling and the long wait for the slowwwwwwwwww elevators.If they arent already strained with guests one has to deal with the house cleaning folks going up and down while you are trying to catch your shuttle.Its not their fault of course they are just trying to do their job.However its an issue with hotel design/traffic flow------

The team members varies from satisfactory to surly.Shuttles are hit and miss.The breakfast in my own experience has been poor only by Hilton Gardens Inn own standards.The Hilton Garden Inn JFK remain top choices only because other than the Sheraton JFK the area is deeply challenged for a quality 3 or 4 star hotel.On an end note the price range runs from 200 to 250 dollars a night for a room when I check making it highway robbery.And now because the JFK hotels have little quality competition a hotel like the Sheraton JFK can command 10,000 points a night:eek: What I just redeemed for in Sydney at the wonderful well regarded Westin.I am boycotting JFK area hotels except in an emergency from here on in................

For my next trip I have hired a driver to wisk me away from the area.Even after the doing the math the difference is marginal and a get a quiet nights sleep in a vastly better property.On the most positive note the creepy wait for a shuttle after taking the Air Train is over :) Ever deal with that in zero degree temps?
    Federal Circle was a poorly designed idea and doesn't appear safe or comfortable in anyway with a late arrival.While I can't blame HGI for that I can for their lousy shuttle service and their home made signs in the windows that make it look like a van with Gypsy drivers running the shuttle.I guess you can say I am not a fan of this property.Its worth at best 129 to 149 per night and that's being very generous.

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never do this. If eastbound, I can normally get to JFK in plenty of time to catch a transatlantic the same afternoon. If westbound, I can schedule my onward flight early in the morning. If I did have to do this, I would go to the airport and spend my time in the lounge rather than at the hotel.

11. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The lounges are closed upon arrival the night before and the airport typically closed down and I like to sleep before
    flying out the next afternoon.Example LAX to JFK leaving LAX local time approx 4:15 PM
    Not much choice except to take the red eye next

12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would wait until the next morning, catch a 7 AM LAX-JFK, plenty of time to connect to my late afternoon/early evening transatlantic flight. Why spend a day hanging around the hotel?

My remark on the lounges was on the westbound, if I couldn't get an early morning flight out of JFK, I would rather spend the time in the lounge than at the hotel.

13. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points: