New United not counting "hidden stopovers" mileage?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by riceoven, Apr 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this has been discussed before, but ever since United switched to continental's website system, there seems to be problems where a single flight number is used for 2 flights with a stop in between. I've noticed the mileage is NOT counting the stopover anymore (counting mileage from A to C rather than A to B to C). Also, selecting distinguishing seats between the 2 flights has been impossible online. Last time, I got the same seat for both flights. On an upcoming trip, I could select different seats but the 2nd flight didn't let me select economy plus for some reason! And overall, none of my seat selections stuck. I called a rep and got seats assigned manually by web support (this was after a couple of reps told me it was impossible to assign seats for this situation). It sounds like they are having a lot of trouble with these kinds of routes in the continental system.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe this part, at least, was an intentional change, but I can't find the post at the moment.

YULtide likes this.
  3. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, these flights are bad news.

What you have to do is call and have an agent split the segments so that each is entered as an individual flight.

pmCo agents can do this without problems. pmUA agents seem to have issues and there have been some reports of them trying to charge fees. So this is a definite hang up and call back situation.

If you don't split the segments, it fouls up seats, upgrades, and mileage credit.

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a mileage run booked ewr-iah-ord-smf until i found out i was only getting miles for iah-smf direct. I like to fly, but not that much! I rebooked.

desamo likes this.
  5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is how pmCO did things. Any direct flight AAA-BBB-CCC only posted as AAA-CCC with one segment and the direct miles between AAA-CCC. Since the pmCO system is what handles MileagePlus now you can expect this to continue.

Also, the other huge downside to direct flights on the pmCO system is that for CPU to work there must be "R" space on *both* segments to get upgraded. The pmCO system is incapable of upgrading just one segment that has "R" space on a direct flight.

Avoid them at all costs. Or, book them as a multi-city itinerary. Normally it means you pay about $3 more in landing fees but you can then get the miles for the different segments (AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC) and also be CPU eligible for both segments individually.

This does apply to "direct" flights that even have a change of equipment at the hub.

-RM

6. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this issue recently... I called in and said I couldn't change my seats in the hidden legs. The guy on the phone said he couldn't either, then his supervisor rebooked me on each segment. I guess I talked to united agent(s) cuz the whole phone calls was over an hour (epic fail). But at the end, they did manage to rebook me.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had this problem recently on 225 BDL-(IAD)-SFO. Got hosed out of about 350 PQMs :mad::rolleyes: !

I think it actually worked out for the best however in my case due to the bad computer programing. I had an E- seat on the second leg originally. About a day before the flight, as I was checking to see if anything from E+ had opened up from an upgrade I noticed that I had been moved to the same seat (21C) that I had on the first leg. On top of that the second leg was now locked. I couldn't not move my seat. I checked in and it printed two BPs both with 21C. I ended up calling up to make sure I was okay as the last thing I wanted was to get bumped from my seat when I sat down. The agent had no idea what was going on and it wasn't letting her select my seat either. I also never made it to the upgrade list on the second leg (not that it mattered ultimately) though I assume this was a glitch as well with the fact that the CO system can't correctly handle these through flights.

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what if your travel agency books these flights? If you call up UA and ask them to split the segments, can you expect to be charged a fee for them taking over the itinerary from the travel agency? Would the travel agency be able to do this for you?

Not that it has happened to me yet, but for future reference if I have to fly to TPA again, as my return last time was a single flight number TPA-(IAD)-ORD. It was pre-3/3 on UA and I was upgraded separately on both segments and earned TPA-IAD-ORD miles/segments credit, although I couldn't see the times for arrival into and departure from IAD online without looking up individual TPA-IAD and IAD-ORD segments on the flight status tracker.

Speaking of, it would be nice if they showed you the actual stopover arrival and departure times for a direct flight with a stop.