New United iPhone/iPad App - Take it for a Test Drive

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone, we wanted to give you a heads up that our new United Airlines iPhone/iPad application is now available to download for free from the Apple App Store. We'll officially be announcing it soon, but in the meantime, please take it for a test drive and let us know what you think!

Here are some highlights of what you'll be able to do:
    • Book revenue flights. The application gives you the ability to make reservations for your revenue travel in a few easy steps. The ability to redeem Mileage Plus mileage for award tickets is not currently available, but, will be added once we’ve integrated our computer systems.

• Check flight status (including viewing standby and upgrade lists). With this feature you can get the latest status for flights by entering the flight number or cities. Additionally, the Flight Status option gives you the ability to view Standby and Cleared Lists – including the First Class Upgrade list.
    Worth noting: When viewing the Upgrade Standby List, you’ll be able to see where you are prioritized list and whether or not you’ve cleared, but unlike the Continental app, you won’t currently be able to see the specific number of customers who are booked or checked-in for the flight. We know this is a valued feature, and at the latest, we’ll get this added once we’ve integrated our computer systems.

Additionally, another feature that is available on the Continental application that is not yet available here is the ability to see where a specific aircraft is coming from. Once we’re on one system, this feature will be added as well.​

• View airport maps. If you’re not familiar with how an airport is laid out, our airport maps will help you find your way.

• Check-in. With this simple to use feature you can check-in, get your seat assignment and get your boarding pass just as if you were checking in online.
    Additional features of the application allow you to check your account balance, view your existing reservations, get information on our United Lounges and much more. We think you'll find the app is convenient and easy to use. Your feedback and comments are always welcome.

Shannon Kelly
    Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
    United Airlines

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Love the CO App and look forward to the new United App!!

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:

Cool! Can I also do this on mobile.united.com, or somewhere else?

I don't have an iOS device, but I do carry a Kindle -- it's super convenient to be able to pull up pda.continental.com and just point it to a Web site. (You can even get a mobile boarding pass!)

4. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PLEASE get rid of the sound that plays the first time the app is launched (or at least give us the option to disable it). That will get annoying real quick.

Based on a quick look, it appears that this is supposed to replace the CO app - is that a correct assumption? I don't see any changes to the CO functionality, but it will be nice to have some UA functionality added as well.

Any reason why this was pushed as a new app and not as an upgrade to the CO app? It would get in to a lot more hands if it was pushed as an upgrade rather than a new app.

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about an App for the Nokia OS via the Ovi store? Nokia is one of the major players in the mobile market around the world. LH, Hilton, and Hyatt all have them on Ovi, and Nokia users would be thrilled to have the same features on a United App that other mobile users do.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the time they get around to releasing that, Nokia might have completely switched to Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called). :) I think Android is a better 2nd platform to target.

2wheels, JLSocks, seaflyguy and 2 others like this.
  7. kluau88
    Original Member

kluau88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great! If this is anything like the CO app it will be great! Being able to monitor the standby list on your phone is so helpful!

8. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, before people get too excited, it's worth noting that this isn't a universal app, so it won't be displayed at full resolution when run on an iPad.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    WP7 is a platform Nokia will be developing, but Symbian will continue onwards, so having an App for Nokia users in the Ovi store would be quite an asset. Nokia may not be so popular in the US, but it is the standard and Mrcedes of mobile phones around the world. And the best part is buying their unlocked phones frees you from having a contract and tieing you to a specific mobile operator. Nokia = mobile freedom, and freedom rocks!

10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for letting us know early... but where is the Android App?

paladin87, legalalien and sunseeker like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. It looks like a close copy of the CO app, so you might as well upgrade the CO app to include UA flights. But do upgrades allow the app to have a new name? Maybe that's why a new "United" app is required.

12. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Shannon! Installing it as we speak :) Glad to see you are keeping much of the CO app functionality, and look forward to the fully-functional app once everything is integrated.

I fly CO every week and use the CO iPhone app for every flight, from check-in to TSA to boarding. No complaints at all. :)

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think that's debatable. Maybe one of those old 1980s Mercedes that is indestructible ;-)

Apple's selling unlocked iPhones as well, even in the US. And there are plenty of unlocked Android phones available.

I realize Symbian/Nokia is more popular outside the US, but where's the growth and the future? And where is the vast majority of United's customers located?

(personally, as a software developer, I think they should just provide a set of well-documented webservices and leave it to 3rd parties to develop apps... their focus should be on running an airline, not writing mobile apps)

2wheels, sdm1130 and legalalien like this.
  14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with HMWT on this, even though I have been happily using N8 for close to a year now. There is little reason for UA to make a Symbian app. The platform is not yet dead, but dying, and the majority of UA customers are based in NA. Instead, they should improve their mobile web site to add missing functionality, and make sure it works well with S60 and Series40 phones.

I don't think UA does app development in-house. It's probably outsourced.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, sure, I didn't mean to imply that United employees are coding the app (even though re-reading my post that's what I seem to say). Even their mobile site is outourced, isn't it?

16. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, to Kony.

17. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to login as my CO number just like the CO app so this must be setup for both programs.

So should we stop using the CO app and the "united" version instead?

18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about a way to view change seats? Or to upgrade flights? :)

Seat maps are present at booking (booked a few flights on the CO version before) so I'd think this would be a easy addition perhaps.

19. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Via goalie-mom....."I like it and thank you very much!"

20. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Shannon

21. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    uhhh on second thought. It may be called the United app but it is showing me CO status and mileage.
    No UA info at all. So for me it is useless. You have really done yourself a disservice by calling it the "new UA" app and been misleading. Should have said it is an update to the CO app with the UA branding. Deleted it. :(

elementaltrs likes this.
  22. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok so here is additional info. On a hunch I tried it again using my MP#. Voila it shows me UA status and reservations. If you, like me, have a UA account and a CO account both of them with the same username it will retrieve only the CO data. The way to get around this is to signin with your actual mileage number -NOT- your username. Guess the developers never anticipated that people would have the same username on two separate airlines. :)

23. elementaltrs

elementaltrs Silver Member

Status Points:
    OnePass / Mileage Plus System integration between Continental and United system recently developed a kink and I think it is affecting both the original Continental and this "new" United app. Recently I acquired Continental's Presidential Plus for Business card. One of the perks of that card includes Elite /Premier Access on your printed and Electronic Mobile Boarding pass. This allows for Elite access thru security lane, early boarding etc. One month ago the original Continental app would display "Elite Access" across the top of the mobile boarding pass in the app. Two weeks ago this functionality stopped working. I called Continental One Pass, they hinted a new app branded under United might resolve this issue. Wrong! I have a few upcoming flights booked on "continental" metal, those flights DO load into the new Untied app. Once you tap on one of the flts listed, the next screen displays the Flight Summary with two (2) buttons "Email Summary" or "Fax Summary". No Elite/ Premier Access status appears. Broken app, because once you access a flight summary, you are STUCK! The Flight Summary screen is missing the Back to MAIN screen button. There is no way to return to the main screen. Tapping the physical HOME button on the iPhone is the only way to exit.
    I would be curious if any United Mileage Plus members have tried downloading the original Continental App and try entering their Mileage Plus account info?
    Try it and please post a comment here. It worked in reverse, meaning I entered my OnePass credentials in the new United app and it pulled up all my upcoming flights.

24. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't recreate any of the issues you have noted above. In the CO app, I see my CO flights/miles/status. In the UA app, logged in with my UA account, I see my UA flights/miles/status. The only overlap I am seeing is that I was able to put in a UA confirmation number into the UA app to get it to load my one UA flight that I booked through CO.

My assumption is that these are completely separate apps connecting to separate systems (for now). Using that assumption, I'm seeing exactly the data I would expect to see (just like logging into CO.com versus UA.com). No surprises so far. :)

25. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worse the darn thing plays even when the speaker was turned off on my iPad :(

elementaltrs likes this.