New United Credit Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by knvinvest, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. knvinvest

knvinvest Silver Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the rebranded Presidential Plat card with lounge access most probably.

3. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a branding perspective, I am surprised Chase/UA don't have their "stuff" together for the club card yet. The above link still lists its status as "coming soon".

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's interesting. It's the same way they treated the legacy UA cards whose benefits would no longer be offered to new applicants, but would be grandfathered to others (i.e. the United MileagePlus Select).

So sounds like the United Club card will replace Presidential Plus but have some TBD modifications to the benefits. Maybe they'll address some of the complaints that the value to 1Ks has been diluted.

Also interesting to see the 'MileagePlus Awards' card. Basically a United Explorer but without any travel privileges. Wonder what the discount on annual fee would be. Surprised they would issue something new like that unless that's just the name they will give to people who have legacy non-Explorer / OnePass Plus cards.

6. knvinvest

knvinvest Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found out the MileagePlus Club card will be very similar to the CO Presidential Plus Card. Big difference is the new MileagePlus Club card will have 1.5 x points for gas, grocery, home improvement, etc. It will also have rewards you can redeem for consumer products, i.e. electronics, restaurants, gifts cards, etc. You will not have the Flex Elite Qualifying Miles with the MP Club Card. The CO Presidential Plus card will still maintain the Flex Elite Qualifying Miles program. Other than that, the MP Club card is pretty identical to the CO Presidential Plus ($395 annual fee still applies).

If you want to find out more about the new card, call 888-795-0576 and they will explain in more detail.
    Hope this helps.

7. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is off topic, but interesting to anyone thinking about getting the United Mileage Plus Explorer card.

Instead of using a random link for 40K (general member, but actually 25K + 5K for add'l user, and 10K for $25K spend) or 60K miles (elites, but actually 50K + 10K for $25K spend), there are actually banner ad offers on the united.com website for the same # of miles, but with a $50 statement credit as well. Unlike the recent AA offers, this appears to be a general credit after the first purchase, and not just after an AA purchase.

I've tried it with my family's MP accounts, and have gotten the banners to appear by searching for airfare prices, and the banners appear next to the airfare prices. Elites get the 60K offer, and general members get the 40K offer. However, you may need to be logged in, or clear cookies, b/c I couldn't always get the application to load properly, some clicks got me to the general offer page.

[​IMG][​IMG]

yaychemistry likes this.
  8. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    The naming scheme seems like its starting to get confusing to me...
    The points guy, says on his blog he's hearing about a MP Club Card which has:
    http://thepointsguy.com/2012/03/chase-launching-united-club-credit-card/

But the Chase website lists a United MP Presidential Plus Card, which has the same benefits:
    https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/united_pres-travel-protection.htm

While the United website lists the MP Club Card, but without specifying the benefits:
    http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/content/products/chase/default.aspx

So it might be that the new card will be called the Presidential Plus Card, like the old CO card... or they could be renaming it to the MP Club Card... TPG's post and the Chase website seem to indicate this might be the case...

However, they could be two different products (but with very similar benefits)... which would seem to be the case from knvinvest's post: