New United Award Charts (effective 2/1/14)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by drennman, Jan 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. drennman

drennman Active Member

Status Points:
    I apologize in advance if my questions have been answered in other posts. I did search.

The new United Award Charts seem to say that partner travel " costs" the same number of miles in economy as on United (using North America to Europe) but that partner travel in business or first (defined as a partner flight on any leg) will be at the higher "partner" award number of miles. If I want to travel in Business w/o partner legs it looks like the number of European destinations will be limited to only those that United flies into like Frankfurt or London. Any other European destination will include a leg on a partner airline and therefore require the higher number of miles for an award ticket. So far do I have this right?

There are many destinations worldwide that United doesn't fly to but that partners do that now will cost more miles - business or first. So it is a type of surcharge or devaluation on going places United itself doesn't fly to?

Is it plausible that by making the costs higher for partner flights could have the effect of discouraging use of those flight as award travel making it just a tad easier to obtain one if you are willing to pay the higher miles?

Will this mean that to keep the miles needed for an award lower more people will opt for the United only seats, thereby, increasing demand for those flights? Or (I don;t think this is likely) that United will offer a few more award seats to compensation for heavier demand?

Or is the 20% differential unlikely to change difficulty of obtaining award seats?

I know it's hard to know what the impact will be but I think there are many super savvy program members who will have a great perspective on the changes?

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you don't have it right.

you can fly partner airlines at UA redemption rates provided you fly them at a class below you purchased

For example
    EWR-FRA-BRU in UA J and LH Y will be charged at the UA J rate. If you were in LH J on FRA-BRU then you would have to pay partner J rates. Same goes for F -> J.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until I see this actually published on a UA website and implemented properly I'm skeptical of their ability to implement this policy. I know they said they would, but I'm still skeptical.

IMO, yes, the differential is unlikely to matter much. The vast majority of awards are booked on domestic travel anyways. The changes don't affect those.

estnet and goalie like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take it nothing to support this has appeared on the preview site. Wonder how this will work in the search engine.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen the preview site live in a long time now. And, among other things, figuring out the implementation UI is a challenge I don't believe was fully considered when the policy was announced. There are all sorts of ways that the search can be a disaster. We're just scratching the surface of potential issues.

estnet and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the UI will be 1-800-UNITED-1 if you want a partner award.

It totally wouldn't surprise me if they announced the policy before having an implemented and validated design. See that kind of stuff every day, sadly (not related to UA).

estnet likes this.
  7. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this. It will be quite challenging to implement. And when they do - shades of the CO Star integration night when YQ vanished from all TATL OJ flights and people like us booked numerous $230 AMS-EWR-TXL itins - bountiful things can happen. A wise bandit would be at the keyboard at the moment of "transition" rooting around the UA system for unanticipated bargains...

8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they remove you from beta when you exploited the PQD find last year?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not that I'm aware of. Besides, that was on the production site, not the beta site.

I'm just saying I haven't seen the beta site active in a long, long time. Have you?

10. matthewsf

matthewsf Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been trying to research this but can't seem to confirm this aspect of the existing airline policy which will appear to still be in place on 2/1. According to United, "Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies." My question: does a change in date also include a change in time, route and carrier (metal) or does a date change simply mean that you must be on the SAME/existing Flight #? It's been a while since I've booked and had to change an award so I can't recall the extent of this fee-free change. One example is SFO-Toronto non-stop on AC then changing to UAL with a stop in Chicago...or vise versa. (Clearly that's just an example of a North American award, but shows the two changes that would take place for an alternative flight).

I actually called and spoke to an United agent when I called Mileage Plus to redeem an award (not sure if it was an MP CSR or it was transferred to a regular booking agent outside of the MP dept) and she told me that ANY of these changes outlined above in my example would be OK, that I would be 'grandfathered' in to the old rats with no increases. Just want to make sure that's indeed true and that a change beyond a new day does not trigger the higher mileage rate when I rebook to a different date. I am a United P.E. and am aware of potential close-in booking fees. My Origin & Destination WILL remain the same...it's just the extent of changing how we get from point A to point B. thanks much.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would assume that you will pay if changing carrier or connecting points, even if the O/D stay the same.

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct only date changes are permitted for the same exact flights without requiring a reprice in ATRE.

13. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I use 60K UA to issue a APRIL ticket (to Asia) today ,
    can I change the travel date after FEB 1 without incurring additional miles

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In theory, yes. But only a date change, not anything else. And no guarantees.

15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting since EVERY 1k agent I've spoken to has had no training on this and doesn't have a clue, in fact the one I spoke to last night had just been trained on the new qualifications for elite status, but why a res agent needs this is beyond me.